Chapter 22 Sick leave

" Good morning" Arnav said , pulling a chair for himself , next to Khushi

Touching her forehead , he sighed in relief for her fever had gone off.

The way he worries about her makes her heart swell with love.

" Why didn't you wake me up ?" He whispered to Khushi

Tara placing some puris on Arnav's plate: " Coz Di was admiring you when you were asleep"

" Tara" Khushi yelled embarrassed with her nose turning red

" Oh come on di. Don't lie. See even your nose is turning red." Tara argued while Arnav smirked at Khushi , sipping his black tea( which Khushi had made for him)

" Tara , you have been reading way too many cheesy romantic novels" Khushi said

Garima smiled and wished for nothing more than Khushi's Happiness.

After breakfast, Garima, Shashi and Buaji headed out to temple.

While the rest sat on the couch lazing around.

Tara " Bhai. Stay for a little more time. This week ,we are going to enact a story book for Aarav" Tara clapped excited.

Running to her room , she came back with a story book , leaving the rest to wonder what the hell she was upto.

Arnav and Khushi sat on a two seater sofa with Aarav on Arnav's lap while Tara sat in front of them on a bean bag.

They could read and gesture their character dialogues. It was fun with Khushi and Tara trying to moderate voices , passing the book around so that they gesture their dialogue.

After half an hour or so , Aarav snuggled to Arnav's chest and Khushi rested her head on his shoulder.

He felt loved, warm and cozy . He just wanted to be in this bubble forever.

As the story ended , Aarav raised his hands and started to flutter his fingers.

Tara and Khushi too did the same

"Khushiiiii what ?"

"We are clapping. " Gesturing Arnav to do the same .

Arnav and Khushi kissed Aarav on his cheek almost at the same time.

Tara caught the picture perfect moment on her mobile .

Aarav had fallen asleep on Arnav's chest and they tucked him to bed.

Khushi drove Arnav home .

On their way home

" Is your seltbelt on? " Khushi asks

Arnav nods

Arnav didn't know how to begin

" I'm sorry " was all he could managed to .

Focusing on the road ahead , Khushi said chirply " For what ?? Not winning me a teddy ?"

" It's my fault Khushi that Aarav went missing. I should have kept an eye on himself. In fact, everything is my fault. I screwed up. If I hadn't , I would have been there for Aarav. For you . I would have held his hand when he took his first step .

It's all my fault."Arnav was serious.

"You're a good Dad," Khushi reassured him

He turned his head and smiled lightly at his wife, returning a simple, "thanks."

Her lips bending into a frown,Khushi tilted her head slightly and pressed, "Could I ask you something?"

Arnav seemed a little confused by Khushi's sudden timidity, but he responded, "Sure"

Looking up at her husband, Khushi's breath fell short for a moment before she finally built up enough courage to ask the question that had been eating away at her for years "do you blame me for Aarav's condition?"

Arnav no longer seemed bewildered, and his expression softened to one of pure compassion.

"I would never, ever blame you for that," Arnav began, his voice sounding more strong and sure "It's not your fault, Khushi. Believe me...it's not. I'm crushed that he has to deal with this with the narrow and cruel world outside us , but I've never once thought that it was your fault." He added with finality, "It's not your fault."

Her heart fluttering slowly as she was silently reassured by her husband.

They felt this invisible wall that he had built between each other slowly break

"If I had only listened to you , instead of Shyam that day( the day Arnav forced Khushi to get married)" he said with guilt and regret

"It's not. It's all in the past. It's pointless going 'what-if's. You are whole new person. You have so different now" Khushi tried to ease guilty Arnav.

" Good different or bad?" he said huskily , setting her heart on a marathon

Khushi smiled as she had successfully changed the topic

"I don't know. You are just different" Khushi managed to whisper focusing on the road

" Are you telling me that you liked the arrogant and shrewd ASR?" Arnav asked , kind of shocked.

" I don't know. Maybe? I tried so much to hate him but my own heart won't listen to me" she said with sincerity in her voice

Arnav looked at her and said nothing but love in those beautiful orbs.

Khushi hummed to " Teri Meri" which was playing on the radio , smiling at each other recalling their first dance.

As Khushi parked at RM's driveway

" Would your old Arnav ji do this" he asked unstrapping his seat beat and kissing her lips while cupping her cheeks

It all just happened in a matter of seconds and Khushi was left to process what just happened.

As Arnav got out of the car, he said , closing the door " your nose is red"

Khushi mockingly yelled " Get out " causing Arnav to smile and she threw the teddy bear on him through the window

The whole clan( of course Akash was covering Pari's eyes) was watching them from the entrance

" What the" they said almost at the same time ( seeing the kiss)

A/N Thanks for reading. Hope you enjoyed.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts down in the comments.

A/N I'm not a doctor. All medical related scenes are a figurement of my imagination.

946 words!!