041

NOTES

with every chapter my sanity slowly slides out of my reach and it shows. man its been a hot minute since i wrote a chapter with more than 1k words HELP. i'm in a major aether fixation rn.   also albedo, xiao and ayaka are back!! run. 

//

Xiao had caught glimpse of the newspapers and posters imported from Sumeru. News spreads like wildfire, spread by the wind or by other means. With the additional letters you had sent him.

Last time he found out about an attempt on your life, he made it his personal goal at the time to hunt them down. He managed to find them, but then also found out that you had somehow made amends.

This time, Xiao swore he was going to be less merciful.

'A plot to extract the 'divine power' out of me' is what you had said in the letter you sent. He was immediately swallowed into waves of overwhelming anger and yet another feeling he could not identify.

The will to keep you safe, tugging at his soul. Not to possess you, but to serve you. Not remove you from the scene to keep you safe. But to remove everyone else.

Surely, you were different. More wise than Rex Lapis. You didn't control him, like his older master. You came from another world completely, one not tainted by the same evil that Teyvat harbours.

So then, as soon as he caught the news of a potential threat to you, it became his number one priority.

Xiao had his polearm only inches away from Aether's neck.

"Don't you dare hurt them." he snarled, coldly, he looked down on Aether. A sibling of the Traveller, perhaps, but that couldn't stop him.

The thought of how you would react if he killed Aether passed through his mind, but left as soon as he was reminded of the possibility of him hurting you.

"And what are you going to do about it?", Aether laughed.

"Hurt my God and I'll break all of your fucking bones clean in half."

It was a direct threat, cutting like a sharp knife.

Aether saw Xiao as a threat, but not one that he couldn't overcome. There's been centuries of karma growing on the Yaksha's soul. It was only a matter of time before he succumbed to it in the same manner the others did.

He was not planning on letting an adeptus spoil his plans on restoring his fallen nation.. and pursuing [y/n]. He made an agreement with the Scholars that hadn't managed to get captured.

They get his support and power, he gets the power to restore Khaenri'ah to it's former glory. Oh, and he gets to keep you to himself. He internally smiles at the thought of it.

Just him and you together, and what scandalous things you could do together. His mind started drifting into impure thoughts before Xiao gave him a sharp kick.

Xiao decides to leave it alone for now. He promised himself he wouldn't go any further than a threat. He can always come back another time and finish him off.

//

the newspapers from sumeru had been imported even to inazuma in less than two days. thoma felt an uneasy feeling when he read them, he knew that ayaka had no chance of letting this slide.

"Ayaka, their excellency doesn't love you. Please, just give it up." Thoma practically begged. Ayaka was very clearly going to do something completely irrational.

"Don't say that", she demanded, "Of course they love me. They just don't know it yet." she said it firmly, but there was no denying a shaky tone underneath.