042

NOTES
aether's got the whole squad after him now. we got the crazy bitch and the feral asshole after him and you.

//

Ayaka was accompanied by a guilty Yoimiya to Inazuma.

They had left Inazuma city a mess, the houses had caught fire from her burning the banner.. It spread quickly in the dead of the night and not everyone was able to evacuate.

Yoimiya can't seem to clear her head. She knows Ayaka was far gone long ago, she can't feel the same gentleness she had before. She can only blame herself for letting herself get involved in her plans again.

"Ayaka, we have to go back! Everything is on fire, people could die—"

"That's what those bastards get for sharing some stupid propaganda about my love kissing someone else, [y/n] would never—"

"Face it Ayaka!" Yoimiya pleaded, "I can't keep helping you anymore, you're insane. [y/n] doesn't love either of us. Please, just give it up."

Something in Ayaka's solid judgement wavered, but in an instant, whatever purity was left in her soul shattered. Yoimiya despised seeing her like this, Ayaka was once her friend. Someone she could naturally confide in. Where was she now?

"She loves me. I know she does, but even if the impossible were true, and she doesn't— that doesn't mean she can't learn to." she answered.

Yoimiya realised it was hopeless. Ayaka was hopeless. Ayaka told her that she was the only one she could trust, and they could do it together.

So once again, Yoimiya stayed.

"And how are you planning to do this? We just set half the city on fire, damn it. We're going to be in jail, not Sumeru." she said, haven given up. She was in too deep.

"Us? No, it wasn't us." Ayaka let out a laugh.

She gasped at what Ayaka had been planning this entire time. Yoimiya wanted no one to get hurt. Guess Ayaka thought otherwise.

//

The next day, the Tri-Commission was right on the case.

"I didn't do this.." Thoma pleaded with the officers.

"It's always the Mondstadters.." someone sighed in the crowd.

"He was always too nice to not be suspicious." someone else said.

Ayato stood back, conflicted. Thoma would never do such a thing. He glanced at Ayaka, who was fake crying. The crowd was oblivious, be he knew. The realisation struck him.

"Ayaka, you crazy bitch! I know you did this—" Thoma shouted.

"I-I don't know what he's talking about.." she exclaimed, sorrowfully, looking up at her brother. The crowd attempts to comfort her but Ayato pulled her away.

Ayato internally chuckled at his sister. He doesn't really care, but is surprised she was able to pull something like that off.

A nuisance, all the same. There aren't as many people who can offer absolute obedience like Thoma does. But housekeepers are replaceable, his sister is not.

Ayaka leaned into Ayato and whispered into his ear.

Yoimiya stood somewhere in the crowd, and but then she and Ayaka made eye contact.

//

Lumine was currently giving Ayaka the most mind tantalising side eye. It had been, three days. THREE DAYS. How crazy was this girl? She had seen before her abnormal behaviour around you but this was just insane.

In three days, Ayaka managed to get herself from Inazuma to Sumeru, undoubtedly because of the newspaper, Lumine thinks.

And she's also heard that Thoma had just beed arrested for arson.. what the fuck?

"Oh.. Ayaka. Nice to see you." you put on a fake smile and greeted her.

Ayaka looked almost elated when you greeted her first.

"Good to see you too, [y/n]." she replied, blushing, "would you be able to walk around with me and show me some places?"

"No. They can't, [y/n] has things to do." Lumine interrupted. Which wasn't true, Lumine just didn't quite trust Ayaka around you anymore.

Ayaka gritted her teeth and resisted the newfound urge to punch Lumine in the face. She considers her a friend, but she needs to stop getting in her way.

"Well, may I have a word with [y/n] privately, then?"

"You can whatever you want to them here."

Ayaka tried to look at you but you averted your eyes. You still remember the time where for some reason you felt as though you had feeling for her, but they disappeared after a few days.

"Ah.. well. I've been meaning to ask, about those newspapers. They aren't real, are they?"

You immediately looked embarrassed, and Lumine rolled her eyes at her. Ayaka's expression faltered.

She didn't want to believe it. You actually did that? No matter, she could do the same. Whoever that stranger was, she could be better.

"No, erm, they're real." you coughed.

"Ah. I see.." Ayaka responded, attempting to hide her disappointment. Lumine outright had to stifle a laugh.

Throughout the entire day onwards, Ayaka had tried to get you away from Lumine, but she wasn't budging.

So she got Yoimiya involved, getting her to try distract Lumine. Reluctantly, she left the two of you alone together.

"I missed you. Did you miss me, [y/n]?"

"Oh. Not really." you replied, blankly.

"Did I make you too uncomfortable last time? I'm sorry." she apologised, hugging you. You were just counting down the seconds before Lumine came back.

There was no denying it, Ayaka was beautiful. You remember meeting her what seems like ages ago, at the celebration for you in Inazuma.

She remembers it too. Seeing you, in all your glory. She didn't know much about you, but you had been alluring, something about you pulling her in.

But she had seen you, even before that. When you weren't physically in Teyvat, but your presence was. She talked to you through the Traveller, and fell in love. Something about you had always felt different.

Thats why she got you that piece of beautiful jewellery, that had also been a tracking device.. but we don't talk about that part.

Ayaka still remembers the way you looked at her, enamoured. She wishes you still looked at her the same now. Now you only see disgust.

"Are you still going to try and marry me?" you asked, your voice snapping her out of her memories.

"Yes.. but later. We have time. Today, I just want to talk with you again." she held your hand.

It was refreshing, to talk normally with her. Danger alarms were ringing faintly in your head even so. You talked about the weather, social life, fashion, your life as a god, hers as a noble. She didn't even make any romantic moves.

Soon enough, Lumine came back, and Ayaka's smile faded slightly.