Chapter 7

My eyes flutter open, sunshine is shining through the window, birds chirp and it is silently. I moan in pleasure when I stretch my back. How long have I been out? I sit straight. "Ah!" I'm startled by a figure next to me. Dai gives me a short glance before looking back at the newspaper. It wasn't glaring so, that's good, right? "Sleeping beauty is awake, I see", grins Damian. I look at the clock. I've been out for an hour, luckily it isn't long. Botan and Ryan come also into the room. "And where is my new gadget, not to talk about my car..." Asks Botan sternly. He turns his gaze to Damian. "Well, explain yourself." Damian stares quietly at the ground. "It wasn't his fault", I say as I stand up. "The car also wasn't his fault. There was this fight and we got hit by crossfire. Damian saved my life", I explain. Botan looks quietly at me for a second. "That isn't an excuse, besides Damian you should've known better than to bring her in danger." Damian doesn't defend himself at all. But why? He couldn't have known there would be a fight! "Who?" "Declan, brother of Zyrian", Damian answers. "Zyrian, you kidding?" Dai laughs as he puts away his newspaper. I observe the tension of the men in the room.

It sounds serious...

"And who is Zyrian?" I ask. "You explain", says Damian and walks out of the room. Dai turns also back to the paper. "You don't know Zyrian?" Asks Ryan. I shake my head. "Being shortly said, he is the most feared villain", answers Botan. I just nod my head and Jun walks in with a large pot of food. "[Name]-sama, you hungry, yes?", she says with the same big smile on her face. "Yeah sure", I reply and eat the delicious food.

I lie down in my bed but I can't sleep, even closing my eyes is a hard challenge. I sigh frustrated and get up.

It's not healthy to force myself to sleep anyway.

I walk up to the balcony of the house, the cold wind blows through my thin clothing. The stars are shining brightly and it's very quiet around me. Suddenly I hear a noise coming from the roof. I look up in confusion, perhaps a bird? However, the noise doesn't stop. I go stand on the railing of the balcony and it's just high enough for me to see the roof.

A young man with large wings on his back lies back enjoying the silence. Dai? What would he be doing here? I decide not to disturb him but I slip and I feel gravity pushing me down. A hand grabs my wrist. Before I can process what happened, I get pushed up and fall on something soft and warm. "D-Dai?!" I look at the male beneath me. His beautiful eyes pierce into mine. "Oh, I'm so sorry!" I say trying not to make him mad. I get off him quickly. Luckily this part of the roof is flat otherwise it might have gone badly...

"What are you doing here?", asks Dai annoyed. "Well, I couldn't sleep so... but it seems you can't sleep as well", I reply. Dai just scoffs. "How come you never liked me, I already apologized for bumping into you. Do I annoy you that much?" Dai just gives me his cold stare. I sigh, knowing he is too stubborn anyways. I sit next to him and gaze up at the stars. "You know, your world isn't very different from mine. The stars are just the same", I say. At the moment I don't care what he thinks if I can't get to know him he must get to know me. "Do you also have theories about where people go after they die?" I refuse to look at him, but I don't hear an answer. "One of our many theories is that when people die they go up there and become a star." "That's bullshit", I hear Dai mumble. "What do you think then?" I turn to him waiting for an answer. After a long silence, Dai sighs. "My dad always told me when a villain or hero died they go to a temple high up in the clouds and are reunited with the gods", he replies. "Oh? I didn't know you had gods..." "Of course not, you are not from this world-" "It doesn't mean that it doesn't interest me." I lie down and turn back to the twinkling stars. "I used to stargaze a lot in the summer. I'm not surprised you do this as well." After no reply and a cold breeze get the best of me, I decided to give up. I get up and go to the edge of the roof to go back. "What are you doing? Soon you're going to fall and I have to catch you again!" "Well... nobody asked you to catch me, you could let me fall if you wanted to. And besides, it's cold and I got some distraction, I guess I will be able to sleep now", I answer giving Dai a little smile. Just as I'm about to go down Dai starts talking. "Stargazing is my way to properly think..."

I stop. Did he just open up to me? I have to keep asking now! I will maybe have this chance for him to open up never again. "I assume that something is bothering you then. May I ask what?" "Everything, honestly." I walk back to Dai and sit next to him. "You can tell, I won't say a word", I reassure him. "Zyrian... he is back. That means we have to be prepared. Every time he is back he has... caused a lot of problems for me and my family. So yeah..." "You're worried." "Yes for my safety and others, he isn't like us. He doesn't hold himself back for anything." Dai's eyes meet mine. I put my hand a little hesitant on his shoulder. "I can't say I understand how you feel but I can imagine that must be hard and stressful. But being awake all night won't help, good night's rest is important as well", I smile at him. "I guess you're right", he says irritated. "Let's go back." Dai stands up and I follow him to the end. Dai jumps off with ease to the balcony. Just as I'm looking for a way down Dai gives me his hand. I look at him confused.

Did he just offer to help me down?

"What are you looking at? Are you coming down or not?" "U-uhm yes!" I take his hand and jump down, Dai catches me in his strong arms and I try to hide my red face. "I was just s-suprised you helped me", I say quietly. Dai shrugs it off and goes inside.

I also go back to my room and crawl into bed covering myself with the soft sheets. I start to smile.

Maybe me and Dai can get along after all...