Chapter 20 • the game part 1

It's already quite late. I'm in my room. Suddenly, I hear something from the balcony. One pair of black wings comes up and lands on the balcony.

"Hey Dai, you're lucky I wasn't changing," I say. "I thought the rule was for the both of you clear," he says. I stopped for a second. "Talk, don't touch. Sounds familiar?"says Dai, slightly annoyed. "It's my last day. I wanted to give him a proper goodbye, "I say. "Jealous?" I joke with a teasing smile. "No. But..."
Dai stops talking and sighs. "...but I would appreciate a dance," he continues silently.

Is he serious?

"Wow... you really are jealous, "I mumble, looking at the ground. "Is that a yes?"
I nod my head and walk up to him. He wraps his strong arms around me, and we begin to dance. I can't help but giggle. Dai, the big arrogant manbird, asked me to dance. I will never forget it in a lifetime.

He wraps his arm around as we begin to dance on the rhythm of the far away music.

When we stop, he wishes me a good night. And I make myself ready to sleep.

I stand beside Botan and the others. The game is about to start. Not for us, but for the heroes. One by one, they step into a digital portal to the simulation. Barak has sadness and confusion in his eyes, knowing I could be gone any moment.

I sneak out and walk to the gardens. I'm not sure how to feel.

Anxious?
Excited?
Sad?

I sit on a bench, and the warmth of the sun hits my skin. Suddenly, I feel someone watching me. Out of the cornor of my eye, I see Zyrian leaning against the doorframe between the temple and the garden. The look he has is unreadable. He is so mysterious and scary. Our eyes lock for a brieve moment.

As Zyrian approaches me in the garden, a gentle breeze rustles the leaves. His enigmatic presence lingers as he stands beside me, his eyes fixed on the view from the mountain. "You seem... conflicted, "his voice sounds caring yet with strength at the same time. "Maybe," I simply answer. The atmosphere is soft, and his aura doesn't seem to give any sign of threat. "You are hesitant. Perhaps you're thinking of staying."
"No, I'm already a bother to the Tanaki family," I say. There is comfortable silence. "How did you know?"
My mind flashes back to the dance when he mentioned he pretty much knows everything.
"You'll find out when you go through the portal."
Zyrian turns around. "May the best win the games, [name]", he walks off, not giving me a single glance.

Weird guy...

"Alright, ladies and gentlemen! Now, the second part of the game will start. Please take your weapons and walk through the simulation, "yells Shannon in an exciting fake voice. The black portal hasn't appeared, with a bit of luck it will come after the game. Otherwise, everyone gets the show of who I actually am and how to escape this universe. Not that it will matter that much because by the time I can talk to anyone, I'm already home.

I follow Damian into the digital portal that should lead us to the simulator. As soon as I walk through, the surroundings change. I see Herain City before me, but no people or no other villains. Everyone should normally start somewhere else.

"Alright, Damian and Naomi get the stone and try to win", instruct Botan. Damian embraces me in his arms. The warmth of his touch is welcome and comforting. I hug him back. "See you next time, girly," he says before he pats me on the head. Even though I don't have a great relationship with Naomi, she gives me a hug as well.
Then they leave us. Now it's just me, Dai, and Botan. "Be careful what you say. Everyone sees and hears what you do," warns Dai.

"There." Botan points at the top of a large building in the center of the city. "The portal should open there if it will appear in the game," he says. "We have to be fast, though. It's stays open for 2 minutes and 25 seconds." We nod our head, and we walk to the building in case it will open.

As we stand on top of the building, me and Dai sit down. He hands me some cards. "Wanna play a game?" He asks with an emotionless face. "Sure, why not?"
.

.

.
"How long does the simulation last?"I ask when we're bored. "Till somoene wins," replies Dai. Suddenly, there is a vibration. The atmosphere is tense, and all my muscles tense up.

It's coming...

I look up the blue sky. It's becoming black with a mixture of a soft red glow. A circle is forming, like a black hole. Botan turns around. "I'm glad having you, [name]-san," he says. He holds out his hand, and I shake it. "Thank you for everything," I tell him.

As soon we see the portal in the circle, Botan sets a timer. Dai pulls his arm around my waist and pulls me up with his wings. Just before we go in, I lie my hand on his shoulder. "I hope I wasn't too much of a bother," I say. "You weren't... that bad, "he gives me a little smile. "Well, this is a goodbye then," I say. Dai nods, and we fly up. I can feel the tension even harder. The air changes more when we come closer.

Suddenly, a figure hurtles towards us. A large and painful shock comes through my body while the figure violently knocks us off our course. The world spins while we're in the air. We crash into a nearby building with a large impact. Dust and debris fill the air while I struggle to untangle myself from the wreckage. Pain flowing through my body.

What the hell happened?

In a faint sight, I see the figure who prevented us from going to the portal. I can't move, but I see him clearly walking up to me. When the dust lies down, I see a hero towering over me.