The Mates

He could barely breathe as the King of Hybern ordered his men to throw Thalia into the cauldron. Everything clicked into place at that very moment.

Thalia was Azriels mate.

Azriel screamed, but Rhysand had to hold the male back before he got himself killed. His shadows roared around him in a frenzy shouting mate mate mate over and over again, it gave him a headache, but he didn't care. He had to get to his mate.

Somewhere he heard Mor talking to him, but he couldnt hear it with the amount of ringing in his ears. His heart was aching as he fought against the hands that were holding him back, but now he had Cassian and Mor along with Rhys to hold him back.

The King had left the room, deeming this encounter unimportant, and Azriel wanted to kill him for it. How dare he leave? He will kill him.

Suddenly, light burst throughout the entire throne room. It was so powerful it had knocked everyone back. Shouts and screams were heard as the light blinded everyone.

Through it all, the burning light didnt hurt Azriel or the Inner Circle, it showered them in a healing warmth that made even his shadows shiver in delight.

Thalia was coming out of the cauldron.

As the light began to thin, Azriel managed to push Cassian and Mor off him; Rhys had let go when the light had blinded them. He ran to the cauldron and reached into the biting cold of the water and pulled his mate out.

Everything was different about her. From her hair to her eyes. Her hair was now a deep black and her eyes–her eyes were two different colors. One was violet and the other was golden. She had a halo of light around her head and wings. Illyrian wings. If Azriel thought she was beautiful before, now she was ethereal.

Mate mate mate, his shadows whispered.

Azriel didnt notice he was crying until a sob rocked his body.

Thalia looked at him with such surprise and admiration. No one had ever looked at him like that. With acceptance and love.

Thalia smiled as she said, I knew it.