The Warrior of Light

Two Days Later

He hadn't left Thalia's side the second they had landed in the Day Court war tent so Helion could heal her. He had been told to leave, to get rest, but he had told Helion and everyone else that they would have to kill him to get him to leave his mate's side. He had even punched Cassian in the face when he had tried to literally physically move him from his chair.

Azriel hadn't so much as eaten the whole two days Thalia was unconscious. He stinks and hasn't changed out of his Illyrian Leathers that were still covered in his enemy's blood.

Azriel had listened immediately when Thalia had pulled on the bond, listened to her terror through it as he stopped in the middle of the meeting with the High Lords to find his mate. He had screamed when the naga had taken her to Hybern. He hadn't been able to stop the naga when it had winnowed, taking an unconscious Thalia with it.

Instantly Azriel went to the Inner Circle and told them Thalia was retaken. Rhysand had immediately ordered any of the Illyrians who knew how to winnow to go with Azriel to get her back. Rhys had fought with Azriel as they raided the King's castle to get to Thalia. She was on Death's doorstep when they found her, but Azriel clung to their bond until it was a shining, almost blinding light, between them.

Azriel had used the mating bond to save Thalia's life that day.

If only she would wake up.

==============

I groaned as I came back to my senses. The first thing I noticed was that I was in pain. My whole body ached and screamed in pain as I tried to sit up.

"Easy," I heard someone say.

"Azriel, " my voice was hoarse as if I had been screaming.

"You were screaming," Azriel said.

When I heard the strain in his deep voice, I look up at him. He did not look good, almost looked half dead with the bags underneath his eyes, his hair looks greasy and unwashed, and he was covered in dry blood. By the smell of the blood, I knew it wasn't his.

"Sorry," I said, sitting up on my elbows. Azriel saw me trying to sit up and he got out of his chair to help me.

"I should be the one apologizing," Azriel huffed. "If I had known, had stayed with you-"

"Azriel, please," I interrupted. "It's not your fault."

Azriel looked down at the bed I was laying on and nodded his head. I knew he didn't believe me, knew he took all the blame for this. So I held out my arm to him.

Azriel instantly took the invitation and crawled into the small bed and pulled me into his arms, careful not to hold me too tight, as if I would break.

"When the naga took you... I thought I had lost you forever," Azriel said quietly as he kissed the top of my head. "When you tugged on the bond so hard I thought it would snap, I couldn't control myself; I ripped them limb from limb with my bare hands."

"Good," I said, looping my leg through his so I was basically lying on top of him. "I want the King dead."

"We all do; I'm sure Nesta will let you have the killing blow."

===================

I rested for most of the day in Azriel's arms. He had gone a few times to get me food and to help me into the bathtub with him and cleaned my wound before bandaging them again. I still hated taking baths because of the Cauldron, but I had Azriel here with me.

When the sun had begun to lose its evening shine, and the stars began to twinkle and gleam in the sky, that's when everyone began to file into the tent. Cassian and Nesta were first, both saying they were happy to see me finally awake after two days. I was surprised when Nesta didn't glare at me, in fact, she nodded at me. Then Mor, who looked like she might cry from seeing me barely able to walk, came in with my new Illyrian leathers and Synthiax. Then Amren came in and said I was lucky to be alive.