The Princess

Thalia

I had found Cassian and my mother standing outside about a mile away from the estate, eating pastries. My mother was laughing at something Cassian had said. I was happy she was smiling and not forcing it like I saw her do at the estate. I wanted to see her happy again, and if there was anything I could do to make her happy, I would do it without a second thought. 

“Hey,” I said as I approached them at the table. 

“Are you okay?” My mother asked as she placed her hand on my knee when I sat down. 

I chuckled softly. “I should be asking you that, Momma,” I said. 

“I’m okay, love,” she said, sighing. “I know the Shadowsinger killed him.”

I glanced at Cassian at her statement. He was, for once, stoic and quiet as my mother and I talked. I wondered what was on his mind. 

“He deserves to die for what he had done,” my mother suddenly said, her boney fists clenching.

“I’m glad.” 

====================

My mother and I walked all around Valaris eating street food and just talking. I Hadn’t known i needed my mother more than anything in the world. After two years of not seeing her, I had thought she’d be safe with my father; I thought he would never hurt her. She was the strongest, most beautiful female I've ever met and to see her this broken, broke me in a way that made me want to scream at the top of my lungs at the world. 

"Would you like to meet him?" I asked as we walked out of Rita's after having lunch. 

Cassian and Azriel were walking quietly behind us. I had asked them with my light if they could stay as long as they could to help me watch over my mother. They had only smiled at me, so I knew they would stay even if they did have something to do. 

"Meet who?" My mother said, swinging our arms back and forth like she used to do when I was a toddler. 

"Rhysand,  my real father,” I said. “Maybe he will let you stay at the House.”

“No,” mother sighed. “I want to stay at the estate. Even though I may not have many good memories there, it is still my home.”

“I – Alright, if that is what you want, Momma.” I sighed through my nose. 

I really wanted her to stay with me, but if that's what she wants… I won’t fight her for it. The estate was my prison, but if it was my mother’s home, then that’s what she gets. 

“Thalia,” 

My heart skipped a beat when he said my name and I turned to Azriel. 

“Yes?” I said, letting go of my mother’s hand. 

“Rhysand wants you at the House, he wants to talk to you.” Azriel jerked his head in the direction of the House of Wind. 

I took a deep breath and turned back to my mother. “Would you like to come to the House and have some wine?”  

“Of course.”

==================== 

My mother was not okay with flying. Cassian had to carry her to the House and she clung to him like she was going to die. I couldn’t stop laughing at her even though  I was the same way not too long ago. As Azriel carried me to the House, he had to watch out for my wings. I still haven’t asked him to teach me how to fly, but I was too embarrassed to ask him. What if he laughed at me?