The Battle

Thalia

It was several hours before they came back and I had learned so much about Illyria and Prythian that my head hurt.

Instantly I had to prepare for battle the next day, and I was scared.

I had never fought in a war before and my hands were shaking as I tried to buckle the straps to my thighs so I could sheath my daggers. I gasped when Azriel suddenly gripped my hand in his, kneeling down on his knees before me. I sighed as he kissed my shaking hands and began to buckle and tighten the straps on my thighs.

"War will leave you thinking that war is all you know when you fight in them for too long," Azriel said as he moved onto my other thigh. "So keep your mental walls open for me and only me if you need to leave."

"You have to fight, too, Azriel," I said, my voice barely a whisper.

"Yes, but my mate comes first when she needs me."

"What would Rhys say?"

"Rhys would understand," Azriel cupped the back of my knees when he looked up at me. My breath hitched in my throat at the sight before me. Azriel had told me he would bow to no one but his High Lord and court. But I was his mate...

Mate. my mate. My magic whispered in my ears as it slithered around my body. I almost shivered when one brushed against my wings.

"You are his daughter and his future heir," Azriel said as he stood up and cupped my face so I was forced to look up at him. "He has to keep you safe, so if you need anything, call me immediately."

"Okay," I sighed and gripped his wrists. "I love you, Azriel."

"I love you more, Thalia."

==================

The attack on Summer would happen in a few hours, I heard from Rhsy as Azriel and I walked into his and Feyre's war tent.

The Summer Court was going to be attacked in a few hours, but we had to start winnowing in the armies soon. I stayed with Mor as I helped the soldiers pack their necessities. Many sneered and looked at me in disgust and hate, and I knew they had seen the battle between me and their camp lord, but I didnt care; I was here to fight a war, not them.

"Are you ready?" Azriel asked me as I pulled my hair into a tight braid.

"No," I said honestly, "But I have to do this."

"No, you don't," Azriel shook his head, a strand of his hair falling onto his forehead. We can tell Rhys you arent ready. " You can stay here with Nesta and Elain if you need to."

"Azriel, I can't stay here and let these men fight by themselves. They may hate me, but I am their Lueitenant General and their High Lords heir, I have to be there for them." I said.

Azriel contemplated this before nodding his head and pulling me into a searing kiss. This kiss was a promise to come back to me since he would be near the front lines. I was scared he would get hurt in this battle, but I had faith in him that he wouldnt.

I heard someone clear their throat and pulled away from my mate.

There stood Feyre and Rhys. Rhys was giving Azriel a look that only fathers knew, but I smiled at the look. It was still funny to me that my mate was my fathers brother-in-arms. I couldn't get over it and I snorted.

"Are you two love birds ready?" Feyre chuckled at the look on her mates face and I nodded.

I made sure I had Synthiax sheathed down my back and the weapons I had on my body, unseen and seen, were there before nodding. "Yes, lets go."