The Day Court

Thalia

It took me a whole day to almost completely heal. I could walk without anyone’s help now and the pain in my wings was just a dull ache. Even though I had ugly scars where the gashes were on my thighs and wings, I didn’t let it get to me because scars are a story that was just written on your body. 

I was sitting at my desk, Azriel behind me while he brushed my long hair, when Rhys came in with the High Lord of the Day Court.

I instantly stood from my chair and bowed to the High Lord of Day.
“Please, no need for you to do that, dear,” The High Lord said.

Awkwardly, I stood up straight, “Sorry, I just wanted to show my respects.”

“No need,” The Lord waved his hand in dismissal, and that’s when I took in the handsome male before me. His skin was a deep chocolate, eyes a butterscotch gold, almost as golden as my left eye. His hair was white as snow, no the sun, as he ran his large hands through it. He wore white robes lined with fur to keep him shielded from the cold of Illyria, golden jewelry adorned his arms, wrists, and even his ankles. He was almost as handsome as Azriel if it wasn’t for the flirtatious smirk on his pretty face that made me blush.

“What do I owe the pleasure, High Lord?” I asked, sitting back in my chair.

Rhys sat on the chair in front of my desk before snapping his finger and a chair for Helion appeared beside him. Helion sat, the fabric of his white robes swishing against the floor.

“Please, call me Helion,” Helion said, as he picked an invisible piece of lint off his pristine robes. “Rhysand tells me you control light and darkness?”

“Yes,” I sat up straighter in my chair. “Do you know anything about it?”

“No, that is why I have come to tell you you are welcome to my Court to visit my libraries.”

I had heard stories and legends of the Day Court libraries. The Court flourished on knowledge as power and used it in their everyday life. I had always wondered what his libraries looked like, and how many stories of love and war that I could read. How lost I could get in those pages.

“I also heard that you have been trying to find where your magic comes from and I believe this could help you,” Helion reached out his hand and a cloud of black surrounded his hand as he pulled out a large book–about five-hundred pages–from the pocket in the realm. Helion placed the brown, beaten-up book on the desk and slid it toward me. “It says that anyone born on Starfall is born to do many great things for Prythian.”

“Amren told me that,” I said as I flipped through the pages. It was surprisingly easy to read. “She said that many who are born on Starfall are killed before they can come to their powers.”

“Yes, and you are the only one who has lived to fifty years.” Helion placed his hands on the desk and leaned forward for the book. I handed it back to him and he flipped through the book until he found a certain page. He pointed at what looked to be a symbol. It was a circle with a vertical line through it. “When you come to full power, this will appear on your collarbone.”

“Like this?” I pulled down the collar of my tunic and showed him the crescent-shaped birthmark.

Helion leaned back so fast as if I had charged at him and looked at me like I had two heads.

“What?” Azriel did not like the look he was giving me.

Helion didn’t say anything but began to flip the pages of the book, flipping almost all the way to the back. He nodded his head when he found what he was looking for. He placed it back on the desk and the symbol of a crescent moon showed with a passage underneath it.