The Distraction

⚠️Warning ⚠️

This chapter contains strong explicit sexual content. Read at your own risk, because I don't write bullshit.

(Slight BDSM, rough sex, slight impact play, use of handcuffs, orgasm denial, edging, and choking)

=========================================

Azriel 

She has never been this quiet. Azriel was starting to worry about his beautiful mate. 

He can feel down the mating bond that she was feeling mixed emotions. Usually, Azriel can read Thalia like a book, his shadows whispering about what their mate was doing. But her face was blank, her violet and gold eyes seeming to be lost. It worried Azriel. 

Azriel observed Thalia as they walked through the library, Helion leading the way out; you can't winnow in or out of Helion's libraries for the safety of the families living in them.

Her back was tense, her Illyrian wings taut as her light slithered around them. For a second, Azriel thought he saw her right eye flash a darker violet, but when he looked again it was back to normal. 

Comfort mate, one of Azriel's shadows whispered into his ear. They didn't like to see her this quiet either. 

As they reached the entrance, Azriel gripped Thalia's inked hand and brought it up to his lips, planting a kiss on her knuckles. She seemed to relax slightly then stared lovingly up at her mate. 

Azriel saw Helion stand by the large oak doors of the library, waiting for them, but he couldn't care less as he pulled Thalia's smaller body against his. Azriel felt Thalia relax, her arms wrapping around his neck, as he held his baby girl.

The bond between them seemed to purr and shine as Azriel held Thalia close, his big scarred hand caressing the smooth bare skin of her back. It was moments like this when Azriel's shadows were at their quietest, when his mind was content, when it wasn't so loud he wanted to scream. All he cared about at the moment was that his mate was here, that she was real. 

Azriel felt Thalia shiver when he softly kissed her neck, trailing up to her ear as he whispered, "I see you, and nothing is changing that." 

Thalia looked up at Azriel, her eyes, violet and gold, beaming as she smiled gently. "I love you, scars and all." 

Azriel knew with every bone in his body that she meant that from the bottom of her heart. So he pressed a tender, deep kiss to her sensual lips, letting his feelings shine through the bond. 

Azriel has never felt this happy in the five centuries he has lived. Having had to fight for his freedom and his family, he felt as if he didn't deserve Thalia as his mate.

Every second, every breath he took was for Thalia. He would die for his mate, and he would live for her, too.

Thalia 

My mind was blank. 

I didn't know what to think as we walked the halls of Hellion's palace to the guest chambers he had renovated for Azriel and me. I was so distracted from my thoughts, that I didn't even take the time to look at the beautiful halls of Helion's palace. 

The kiss and the way Azriel held me as we left the library had calmed down some of my worries. I didn't know what Azriel thought about me when we had found the answers about my powers, that I was a god. But I know now that those thoughts were completely wrong. 

But that didn't help all my worries. 

I had a feeling we were still missing something, that we didn't get all the answers.