The Asset

Thalia

I was sweaty, and my heart was pounding, but I hadn't felt happier. Every pound and beat of the music resonates throughout my body as I danced with the Morrigan. I had never felt this free before and I loved it. I missed the feeling of my body moving to the music, of having a friend who accepted me for who I was.

I felt happy and free.

"Let's go for a walk," Mor asked as we approached the bar to pay for our tabs.

"Alright," I was out of breath, but I did need to cool down from all the dancing.

We danced for hours. I  couldn't tell what time it was when we stepped out of Rita's, but it was dark and the stars gleamed and twinkled in the sky. The moon was full and lit up the sky in a soft glow. Valaris was always beautiful at night, it was my home.

Mor and I were unbelievably drunk as we stepped out of the bar. We giggled when we had to hold onto each other to walk straight.

"You know," I slurred, "when I first met you I had a crush on you."

"You did?" Mor asked with a giggle as we walked, more like stumbled, up the bridge across the Sidra.

"Yeah, I think I still do," I didn't notice she had let go of my arm until I noticed she had stopped walking.

I was embarrassed. I was drunk and spilling my guts like this was a normal conversation. I mean my mate was Azriel and I know they had something going on between them. I shouldn't be saying this; Azriel was my mate.

I walked back to Mor but was surprised when she gripped my face and kissed me.

And I kissed her back.

Her lips tasted like cherries and her tongue tasted like wine and whisky. This kiss was something I was not prepared for.  I was scared this meant something because I loved Azriel. I'm sure that I loved Azriel and this was something I didn't want to happen yet. I don't know why I kissed her back.

I pulled back and took a step away. I felt like I was going to cry, but I wasn't about to cry in front of Mor.

"We can't do this Mor-" I started.

"Why not?" Mor interrupted.

"I said it was a crush," I said, wringing my hands together. "But I'm in love with someone else."

"Oh," Mor sighed, she stumbled a little bit but caught herself on the railing. "I didn't know."

"No, no, It's just that we are cousins and it feels a little weird to kiss you." I tried.

"I forgot about that, but I don't care," Mor chuckled,  but I saw the tears in her brown eyes. "Listen. I know you are in love with someone else, but if you ever need release I am always here for you, Thalia."

I pressed my lips together, knowing what she meant by release. "Thank you for Understanding, Mor,"

"You're welcome."

===========

The next morning, I woke up cuddled next to Mor. Surprisingly I didn't have a hangover, but I couldn't remember anything after coming back home. I remembered the kiss and instantly blushed. It was a nice kiss, but I didn't feel anything like when I was being just touched by Azriel, there were no sparks, just the want and need to kiss her.

Careful not to wake the warrior, I pulled my limbs from hers and left her room. I noticed we were in the townhouse, not the House of Wind. It was quiet, so I guessed everyone was asleep or had their own things to do.

I walked into the kitchen and nearly jumped out of my skin. My magic slithered around my body in a makeshift armor and shadow curled along my fingers.

"Calm down, it's just me," Amren said as she sipped from a mug of steaming blood cooly.

I took a deep breath and let the shadows disappear. The light stayed, slithering and caressing my body and whispering unwanted compliments in my ears.

I went over to the fridge and grabbed the orange juice. pouring myself a glass, I sat across from the scary creature and sipped the cold drink.

"You know," Amren sighed suddenly. "I have never come across someone who can wield both light and darkness."

I looked up from my glass. Swimming silver met my gold and violet eyes. Her eyes scared me, but I would never tell her that. "How so?"

My wings ruffled as I tried to get comfortable in the chair made for wings.

"I am from another world and I have seem many things these past millennia, girl."

I started. "How old, exactly, are you?" I knew it was rude but...

"Old enough to know that you are going to be a good asset in this war." Amren looked at me. I couldn't read the look on her face, only cold indifference.

"War? There is a war?" No one had told me about this war, only that Hybern was planning something. Sure, I had thought about war, but we had barely come out winning in the war over five-hundred years ago.

"Yes," is all she said before she went back to sipping her blood.

So war was coming, and I could be an asset?

How, exactly, was I going to be an asset in war?

This rose more questions than it answered.