You Can't Remember...

One week has gone. Two left. Mother will come home. Only two more weeks. All I am left to do is dream about her and remember her beautiful face…

~~~

“Welcome ladies and gentlemen to Remember!” the show host exclaimed, full of energy. The girl blinked at the flashing lights.

“We have a brand new contestant today! Introduce yourself!” he said.

“Oh uh-”

“Great! Now if you don’t remember the rules, I’ll explain them again,” the man said, cutting her off.

“Behind these three doors,” the host said, pointing at the doors that were being illuminated by studio lights, “are people who are important in your life. Are you ready?”
“... Do I have a choice?” she asked with a blank expression. The host smiled widely.

“No, you do not! First door!” The host said, pointing to the bright blue door with the number one engraved on the front. It opened suddenly, revealing a tall middle-aged man. He had dark brown hair, hazel eyes, and a dad bod.

“Oh, that’s my dad,” she said. Suddenly, celebratory horns began to play.

“CORRECT! One down, two to go!” the host shouted. The pink door suddenly opened and out came a teenage girl. She had short blonde hair, ocean blue eyes, and a slim frame.

“Hey, that’s my best friend!” she said. Again, celebratory horns began to play.

“CORRECT AGAIN! Last one!” the host shouted. The blood red door opened, but a glitched figure replaced the human.

The girl just blinked.
“Wait, what?” the host said, “That’s supposed to be your mom,”

“What?” the girl breathed. That’s not what she remembered her mom looking like.

“No, she looked more like… She had… She…” the girl stuttered out. The girl couldn’t remember.

“I- I don’t remember,” she whispered, hoping no one would hear. But the host heard her. Loud and clear.

“You don’t remember what she looks like?” the host said, slightly laughing. Everyone in the crowd was laughing at the girl. They pointed at her. Called her stupid for forgetting what her own mother looked like.

“Just make something up!” The host exclaimed, joining the laughing. The glitched figure kept changing form, not being able to decide what it should be. The girl couldn’t take it anymore. She tried to shake the feeling off and covered her eyes, but the laughing seemed to get louder.

“Please… stop,” the girl muttered.

~~~

I woke up. I wiped sweat off my forehead and tried to keep my breathing steady. I remember. Every word. Every action. Everything. But… How come I can’t even remember what one of the most important people in my life looked like?

I can’t remember. I can’t remember. I can’t remember. I can’t remember. I can’t remember. I can’t remember. I can’t remember. I can’t remember. I can’t remember. I can’t remember. I can’t remember. I can’t remember. I can’t remember. I can’t remember. I can’t remember. I can’t remember. I can’t remember. I can’t remember. I can’t remember. I can’t remember. I can’t remember. I can’t remember. I can’t remember. I can’t remember. I can’t remember. I can’t remember. I can’t remember. I can’t remember. I can’t remember. I can’t remember. I can’t remember. I can’t remember. I can’t remember.

You Can’t Remember