Four

You and Kocoum walk out of the tent and even though you are sore with every step, you are almost bouncing in your steps. You are really safe. You are finally out of that camp. 

"Welcome home, Y/n," Kocoum says as you look over at him. You see a smile forming on his lips as you look at him. He seems genuinely happy that you are joining his people.

And you feel the same way, a smile also forming on your lips as you say, "Thank you, for everything that you have done for me." 

Kocoum and you keep walking as he says, "It was no problem. You are worth fighting for." Those words hit you, and your stomach flutters. You feel the heat hit your body with the term. Nobody has ever made you feel worth it, especially how he does.

You don't know what to say to that, so instead, you follow him to a group sitting around a fire. The heat makes bumps form on your skin. With all the excitement that you have been through, you didn't realize that you were so cold. You shutter a tiny bit as you make your way closer to the fire. 

"Hello Kekata," Kocoum says as he rests his hand on the man's shoulder, slightly bowing his head. "How are you doing?"

"I am well Kocoum," the man says. The man is old, with wrinkles coating his face, and long grey hair. His eyes shifted to you, asking, "And who do you suppose that is standing behind you?"

Kocoum shifts slightly so he is now angled more facing you. He places his hand on your shoulder blade, saying, "This is Y/n."

"Hello there Y/n, my name is Kekata." He gives you a smile, slightly bowing his head. 

"Kekata is a shaman. He heals our sick and injured," Kocoum says,  looking from Kekata and back to you. 

"It is very nice to meet you Kekata," you say, smiling at the man. 

The man smiles back at you as Kocoum says, "It was nice seeing you Kekata." 

Kekata doesn't reply to Kocoum as he gives him a nod and a small wave, turning to join the other's conversation.  

Kocoum's hand remains on your back throughout the rest of the afternoon. You spend the rest of the afternoon being introduced to many of his people. All of them seem so kind and supportive of you.

You walk up to a man, who is sitting on a fallen tree widdling a stick. "Hello Jai, there is someone I would like you to meet."

The man looks up, and right away you can see that this man does not like you.  He seems annoyed by your presence.

"Who is she?" The man seems to linger on the word she, making it known that he is mentioning you. 

"This is Y/n..." Kocoum is sensing the tension as well because he is unable to think of what to say next. "She was the girl I found in the woods."

The man stands, and with a very public sigh, turns around and walks away. You don't even blink as the man walks away. "What did I do?" You ask, completely dumbfounded. How did you make this man hate you so quickly? The sickening feeling hits your stomach at the realization of what your people did to his people...

Kocoum looks over to you and says, "Give me a minute to talk to him. Please wait here..."

You watch as Kocoum walks over to meet the now-sitting man again. You can barely hear what they are saying, but you manage to hear some.

"Please Jai, just give her a chance, she has been through a lot and I promise you will like her." Kocoum is pleading with the man. You can tell that Kocoum wants you to fit in here, but you know that no matter his efforts, you cannot force yourself on these people. 

"How could I like her? You expect me to trust someone we don't even know?" Jai was only speaking the truth. You had only just met them, and only came into the camp last night. 

"No, but I expect you to try and get to know her. At least try and be civil with her."

"I'm telling you Kocoum this once. If she comes anywhere near me, or my family, I will bring her back to her people. I don't care what they have done to her or what she has been through, she doesn't belong here." 

Kocoum's eyes flare, and he gets closer to Kai, looking deep into his eyes. "Now let me tell you this. If you lay a finger on her, you will be the one who will need to be worried. Do I make myself clear?"

The man just turns around and walks the other way. Kocoum is frozen for a moment, and you make your way over to him.

You realize that what that man said is very true, and you don't belong here. What if your commander hurt someone? He is going to be looking for revenge for what you did... You need to leave before it's too late and he finds you here... You walk over to Kocoum and stand in front of him so you can look into his eyes. "I am so sorry Kocoum," you say. "Maybe Jai is right, and I should go. It has been amazing while it lasted, but this can't work-"

Kocoum cuts you off, "What? No, Y/n. You are staying. Just because one person doesn't agree with you being here doesn't mean you won't fit in." 

"But what if my commander comes looking for me? He won't stop with just me, he will hurt everyone in his way to get his revenge..."

"We can handle him, you are safer here than out there." 

When you don't say anything, Kocoum takes your hand as he says, "Just please don't leave.  I understand that you are worried about everyone, and that is why we will protect you. You aren't like other people, you care for everyone." He takes a deep breath. "Please wait for a little while longer, and we can talk more about this later. I don't know what I would do if that man hurt you again..."

Something about your and Kocoum's relationship is special, you can feel it as the wave of butterflies floods your stomach. Kocoum cares for you, and you are beginning to care for him too.

You nod your head, and he smiles. 

You are staying right here with Kocoum...