Fourteen

Kocoum doesn't let you out of his sight the few days that follow. Even though you have him back, things still feel strained.

A while after the events, you finally managed to make Kocoum get some rest. You can tell that the events have him on high alert, and he keeps promising that he won't let them get their hands on you again.

Luckily though, there have been no words from your commander, which leaves you feeling more at ease. Still, worry lingers in your mind about everything. You are worried that they will come back, and that still the people you have started to love would get hurt. These people were your new home, and you would do anything to protect them.

Luckily, you were able to talk to Thomas...

A few days ago...

You had insisted that you needed to see Thomas, but Kocoum was hesitant about letting you go. Kocoum didn't know Thomas like you.

"I promise," you say as you and Kocoum walk towards the tent where Thomas is being held. Kocoum wouldn't you go alone, but you were just relieved that he finally let you go.  "He won't hurt me, he's my best friend." Thomas was one of the only people who showed you real kindness. If you hadn't met Kocoum and fell so madly in love with him, you and Thomas probably would have gotten together. 

Almost by the tent, Kocoum says, "I understand that, but you must realize that I almost lost you. I'm not ready to ever risk you like that again. Once was more than enough." Each time Kocoum speaks like that, it makes you feel terrible for your actions. The pain you must have caused him haunts you, but you know deep down that what you did was the right thing.  

You take his hand and follow him towards the tent. Kocoum had explained to you that they had just finished questioning him, and he was free to stay here like you. Although, you didn't know how that was going to go. Unlike you, Thomas lived for the adventure. He loved sailing from land to land, trying to find new places. Losing that for him would be like losing his life. 

You finally make it to the tent, and two guards stand outside keeping watch. You look over at Kocoum, wondering what the guards are about. "They are a precaution," he whispers in your ear.

A precaution? Why on earth did they need a precaution for Thomas?  "Why?" You ask. "Why does he need guards?" For some reason, this doesn't settle right with you.

"I just want to keep you safe," he whispers again. 

"From what? Thomas? Kocoum, I have told you countless times that he is friend, no foe." You know that you are being harsh, but this makes you upset. 

"We took the same precaution with you," he says. You freeze, unable to answer. How could you? He was right. They had tied you to the post, and had Kocoum guarding you all night. This wasn't only about you, but also his people.

You don't reply to him as Kocoum says, "Y/n would like to enter." The two men don't reply but instead step to the side. 

"I'll be outside if you need anything," Kocoum whispers. "And," he says as you are about to walk inside, "I'll talk to the chief about getting the guards lifted."

You smile, kissing Kocoum. "Thank you," you say as you pull away. 

He smiles back, and replies by saying, "Well, I would do anything to get you to react like that." You both smile, and you make your way into the tent. 

Inside, Thomas is sitting on the blanket on the floor. His arms are wrapped around his knees, and is facing the other way. He must not be able to notice you, because he doesn't move.

"Hey," you whisper, and right away Thomas stands and turns around to meet you. 

"Y/n," Thomas says. "I'm so happy to see that you are alright. They haven't let me leave the tent and they wouldn't tell me anything about you."

"I'm okay," you say. "What about you? Are you alright?" Like you, Thomas is covered in bruises. Something must have happened between the last time you saw him and then when you saw him on the deck. 

"I'm alright," he breathes. "Just trying to make sense of it all. This is where you have been the entire time?"

"Yes," you say. "This place, it's amazing. Everyone is so kind, and the woods are magical. Everything the commander has taught us about these people is wrong. They are like you and me. They want to keep their family and home safe."

Thomas doesn't say anything, and you say, "Kocoum has told me that they said you could stay." Still, no response, and you are worried about Thomas. He looks exhausted, and like you, he has almost drowned. "What are your plans?"

Finally, he answers. "As of now, stay with you. I don't see where else I belong at the moment. I just found out that the crew would let me die. You are my only family," he whispers. You make your way over to him and pull him into a hug. He too wraps his arms around you, and you know that he is finally safe. 

"And I am honored to be your family," you whisper. 

Finally, he says, "Who's that man? He seems important," he smiles, teasing you. 

You blush and look down at your hands. "His name is Kocoum," you say. 

"And you like him?" Thomas doesn't sound as vibrant, but he is still trying to act bright. That was Thomas, even in the hardest of situations, he was kind.  

You think about how to answer the question but you say, "I love him, Thomas. He is one of the kindest and most selfless people I have ever met." You feel that after everything that you two have been through, you feel that he deserves to know the truth. 

He takes a moment to answer, and finally, he says, "I'm happy for you Y/n. You deserve every good thing in this world." His smile isn't as bright, but his words are still true. Even though you two were close, he wanted the best for you, like you did for him.

"Thank you," you whisper.