Eight

He tastes as impressive as he smells, and that taste follows you into sleep, into your dreams. You dream of him tonight. You dream of his strong arms holding you, his even rougher hands gripping you tight. You can feel yourself beginning to fall in love with him and you know it. 

You can feel something, no, someone brushing your cheek. Just by how gentle the touch is, you know exactly who it is. The feeling sends flutters down your chest, and when you open your eyes, he is next to you, smiling ear to ear. "Hello darling," he whispers. By the sound of his low husky voice, he's been awake for a while. "How did you sleep?" 

You don't say anything as you wrap your hand around his neck and pull him and yourself closer so you can kiss his lips. His lips mold with yours, and you can feel your heart quicken. He smiles when he pulls away, and you sit up so you are facing him, your legs crossed. 

He is still holding your hand as he says, "I don't have long, I need to be going to my troops soon, but I just wanted to see you wake up."

You sigh, and look up at him as you say, "How long will you be gone today?" The idea of not getting to spend the with him makes you sad, and you look up to meet his eyes.

His once-happy eyes shift, almost like he is feeling the same sadness you are, and he looks down at your connected hands. You know that you won't like what he says when he looks up at you. "I'm going to be gone for a few days, and I am unsure how long that will be." 

Multiple days? The most time that you have spent away from him is a few hours at most... You look down as well, looking at your joint hands. How long will it be until you get to hold his hands again? You finally just got him and now he will be leaving you. He takes your cheek in his hand, and he pulls your face to meet his. "I will come back as soon as I can to see you. Trust me, I don't want to leave any more than you want me to." 

You lean your cheek into his hand, and you follow it so he can pull you into a hug. You warp your arms about his back and pull yourself closer.

It doesn't take him long to get moving as he says, "Everything will be fine, I will be back as soon as I can." He pulls you up to your feet. He rests his hand on your cheek, and then says, "Let us not spend our remaining time like this, let's get you something to eat." He kisses your cheek as you two walk out of the tent, leaving your small paradise. 

Later, you give him a hug as you say, "Stay safe." You don't want to let him go, and you hold on tight. Earlier, while you had been eating with him, you learned that he wasn't leaving to train his troops. No. You learned that he was leaving to go fight. Rumors had it that one of the neighboring tribes had been attacking, killing most of their troops. You knew all too well whose name had been written all over that. 

Kocoum gives you a kiss on your forehead, and you take a deep in, gathering him in before he leaves.

He pulls away and gives you a smile as he walks away. You guys aren't going to say goodbye, because that's not what this is. 

Once you see that he has fully disappeared into the woods, you make your way back to the tent. You decide as you finally see your tent that you aren't just going to disappear. You look around, and a group of girls catches your eye. They are sitting around a fire, baskets in their hand. 

You realize upon further inspection that they are weaving baskets. You learned how to weave baskets a few years back. You could help them make the baskets, and help show this tribe that you appreciate everything that you have done for them. 

You slowly make your way over to the group of girls, pausing a few feet away. They don't notice you, so you are the one who needs to speak first.

"Hello," you say, your voice cracking from worry. You had never been a very social person, especially after the death of your family. "I was wondering if you needed help with the baskets."