Nineteen

You sit in the sand by the beach, Pocahontas next to you. Your fingers play with the sand, and you watch the water. You have been waiting for a while now, and within that time you and Pocahontas haven't said much to each other.

Although the few short words you spoke, she explained that she hoped Kocoum would be okay. She should have told everyone about her and John sooner, especially after seeing Kocoum and your relationship.

The sun has begun to set, and you feel the waves hit your feet. Pocahontas hasn't left your side, but you know that she wants to see John. "Go," you say, but it comes out as a whisper. "I'll be okay."

"No," she says, her voice almost stern. "I will wait here till we have word that he is okay. If it weren't for me, he would be okay." 

"Hey," you say, facing her and placing a hand on her shoulder. "You couldn't have known what would have happened. You can't blame yourself."

She closes her eyes, and you take a deep breath. You are about to leave, but you hear Jai say, "Hey." 

You don't give him time to finish before you are at your feet saying, "Is he stable? Is he alright?" You haven't heard any updates since they took him, but Jai promised you would be one of the first to know, so something must have happened, must have changed. 

Jai holds his hands up, breathing, "He's stable." The relief you feel is like a cloud clearing. You can see again, walk again, and feel again. "For now at least. We need to keep a close eye on him. We have never had a wound like this." Guns weren't used here, and because of that, wounds weren't as serious. They didn't know how to treat bullet wounds, and this was new for them. 

"Can I see him?" That is all you want, to see him again. To make sure that he is, after everything, alive,

"Sure, I suppose. Just not for long, he needs rest." 

You smile, and say, "Thank you, Jai, I appreciate everything you have done."

Jai takes a moment to answer, but he says, "Thank you for making me take him."

He makes his way to Pocahontas. They are probably going to talk about John, and as much as you want to hear what they are saying, you want to see Kocoum more. So you make your way to the tent they took Kocoum into all those hours ago.

You make your way inside, and there lies Kocoum. His eyes are closed, and a blanket rests on top of him. He looks so pale, just like he did those few days ago.

You make your way over to him, careful not to wake him, but when you sit down next to him, you know you failed. 

His eyes open slowly, and he looks around for a moment and finds you. A small, almost unnoticeable smile forms his lips. You rest your hand on his cheek, and he closes his eyes at the touch. 

"Hey," you whisper. "How are you feeling?"

"Better," he says, his voice so quiet. You miss the sound of his usually strong and loud voice. This doesn't fit him. His voice isn't him, and you want to make him better. "Now that you're here," he finishes.

"I'm just so happy that you are okay," you whisper back. "I'm so sorry," you say as you can feel the tears leave your eyes. You didn't think you had any more tears to fall, but here they are. Seeing him like this drains your last remaining sadness.

"Why?" He looks up at you, the small smile disappearing. "Why are you sorry?"

"Because you told me to stay back, but I didn't, and now you are here." The blame you have been feeling towards yourself is consuming. Like Pocahontas, you blame yourself for Kocoum getting shot. If you had just stayed behind the bushes like you were told, none of this would have happened. 

"Y/n," he breathes. "You have nothing to apologize for. I would rather be here right now than have you here in my place. Something was going to happen either way, I'm just happy I was there to stop it."

"Again," you whisper. "This is the third time in a matter of a couple weeks that you have managed to save my life. And what have I given you in return? A bullet wound."

"You gave me love," he coughs. "You gave me a happiness that I have never felt. You complete me in a way that I didn't know I needed. I wouldn't change a thing that we have been through if it meant that I get to be right here with you."

You don't say anything as you cry. You cry for everything. For Kocoum, Thomas, almost drowning. You cry for everything bad that has ever happened to you and Kocoum. Kocoum squeezes your hand, saying, "Please don't cry Y/n. I'm okay, and we are together. I don't want to see you sad."

You look at Kocoum, wipe your tears, and force a small smile. This was the least that you could give him after everything, even if the sadness you feel for the past events makes you feel otherwise. Having him again didn't fill the hole in your chest. 

 "There she is. There is my Y/n." Right when you think that he is done speaking, he says, "Did I ever tell you that you are stunning? Especially in those clothes."

You laugh then. A messy, sad, but happy laugh. Finally, you speak, "And did I ever tell you that you are handsome?"

He laughs too, and says, "I love you so much Y/n," he whispers back. "Remember that okay?"

The smile forms on his face again, and you smile back, saying, "I love you so much Kocoum." 

His eyes begin to waver, and you know that this must be taking a lot out of him. So, with much reluctance, you say, "I should be going. You need your rest."

"No," he says, his voice even quiet. "Please, stay. I'll sleep much better knowing that you are here with me."

And even with what Jai said, you listen to Kocoum. You will do whatever it takes to make him feel better, and if that is having you stay, then you will stay here with him. "Okay, I'll stay."

You lay beside him, taking your hand and gently combing your fingers through his hair. He lets out a relaxed and comforted sigh at the touch, and you too finally let yourself breathe. 

And as you too fall into a restless sleep, you know that no matter what happens, things won't be as they were. Not after everything that has happened...  

A/N: Hello! I just wanted to let you know that I didn't go through and do a quick edit in this chapter like I did to the others. I am going to be starting school soon, so I may not have time to publish and edit as much as I would like to. But I promise things will be updated, edited, and published.

Till next time

Em :)