Five

You sit by the fire, the heat hitting your face. The day has disappeared, and the sun has set. Next to you is Kocoum, the fire light hitting his face, causing him to look somehow even more beautiful.

You look over at him, wanting to study his face so you can remember what it looks like in the firelight. You turn your head away instantly as he looks back at you. A blush fills your face and you smile to yourself. You have been glancing at him all night, but this is the first time you have been caught.

He rests his hand on your leg, and you blush more. "Your cheeks are beautiful when they are that color." You don't understand how, but your blush turns to beat red. You look over at him, a smile forming on your lips. 

"Your cheeks aren't so bad yourself," you smile, placing your hand on his. You are looking into his eyes, and you let out a small sigh as you feel his hand against your cheek. You close your eyes, allowing his fingers to trail your cheekbone. It has only been a day, how have things moved so fast?

"You should get some rest," Kocoum says, and you open you're eyes. "You look so tired." His thumb traces under your eye, and you sigh.

"I'm okay," you say. You are tired, but you want to stay here with Kocoum. 

"I know you are okay, but I would like it if you would rest." You don't argue with him as you stand, still holding his hand. The fire light follows him as he stands, sliding up his body and up his chest. You watch as you can see each individual abb, and you feel your cheeks blush.

He leads you to a tent, and says, "Here you are, you can stay here for the night." 

"Thank you," you say. You are about to walk in when you hear him say, "I will meet you here in the morning."

"You aren't staying?" You are shocked and saddened by this. You wanted him to stay with you.

"I was going to go back to my tent. I thought you would like some privacy." He seems to say this with some force, almost like he to didn't want this. 

"No!" You say this louder than you intended, and right away you get embarrassed. He smiles at you as you say, "I mean no I don't need privacy. I would like you to stay, only if you want..."

"Of course, I want to Y/n." You smile as he retakes your hand, and guides you into the tent. Inside the tent, there is only one small bed. 

You sit down, and when Kocoum doesn't move, you say, "What are you doing up there? Come down here with me."

"Are you sure? I can go get another-" You don't allow him to finish as you pull him down next to you, and he smiles as he sits next to you.

He begins rubbing his thumb along your thigh again, and you feel a butterfly dance in your stomach. Kocoum is the one to speak, and he says, "Tell me about you Y/n. What is your life like? Your family?"

You freeze, unable to know what to say. When you were a baby, your parents couldn't take care of you, and they had to give you up. You sigh when you say, "I don't know my family..." When you look up, Kocoum is looking at you with sympathetic eyes, and you continue. "I was taken in by my commander as a child, training me as his sailor. Most of my life I have been traveling from land to land, not knowing how to escape." You sigh again, looking down at your legs. "I know he is a terrible person, but he took care of me. I couldn't leave him, because if I did, I didn't know how to survive." You feel a tear fall down your cheek, and you look up at Kocoum again, watching his reaction. 

"You don't have to be with him anymore, you are safe here." He takes your hand more firmly, and says, "I can be your family. I will take care of you."

You reach over and hug him, and he wraps his strong arms around you. You know that when you are in his arms, you are finally with your family.

"Now, let's get some sleep," Kocoum says, pulling you down so you are both lying side facing each other. You allow yourself you lean against him, closing your eyes so you can finally rest. 

You are finally with your family.