Thirteen

It's the head that hits your skin first. Warm tingles and the sound of small chants are what wake you. Opening your eyes, you can feel your throat burn and your limbs ache. It's hard to see at first, but when your eyes finally focus, Keketa is the first person you see.

"Hello child," he soothes. "How are you feeling?"

You try to answer his questions, but when you speak, your voice cracks and your throat burns. Knowing your problem, Keketa helps get water into your mouth, asking, "Is that better?"

Right away, your throat clams down, and you can speak much better. "Yes, thank you," you say.

"Good," he says. "How are you feeling," he asks again. 

This time, you can answer, "Okay, just tired and sore." Tired and sore was an understatement. You felt like the moment you woke up, you could have fallen back to sleep, but you didn't want to worry anyone further.

"Can you tell me what happened?" It takes you a minute to remember what happened, but it comes back to you all at once. 

You hit the water...

You lost consciousness...

Kocoum...

You begin frantically looking around the room, but you don't see where he is. You try to rise, but your head spins and Keketa pushes you gently back down. "Stay down, what do you need?"

"Kocoum," you say even though the room is moving. "Where is he?" You are worried what may have happened to him. Why isn't he here with you? Flashes of memories fill your head, and you remember the gun pointed at his head...

Did your commander actually kill Kocoum?

That thought sends your mind spinning more, and you can feel your heart race.  "Kocoum is a fine child. He is outside getting some air as I instructed him to. If you calm down, I will go and get him for you."

You nod your head, feeling better that he is alive. Keketa stands, making his way out of the tent. In your moments alone, you rise so you are sitting up. You don't want to be lying down when he comes into the room. 

A moment after your head stops spinning, Kocoum walks into the tent, but it doesn't look like Kocoum. His eyes are red, and dark rings form under them. His hair is wet, and so is his skin. 

He freezes for a moment, and you two lock eyes. Your heart flutters at the sight of him, you have never seen him so disheveled, and it worries you.  

"Oh, Y/n," his voice whispers. "You're awake." You can see a relieved smile on his face, but it isn't full. "I'm so happy you are okay." He doesn't move closer to you, and you sigh. 

Right away, concern coats his face, and he asks, "What's wrong?" 

"Can you come here?" You ask, holding your hands out. You just want him close to you. After everything that has happened, you want him in your arms. 

He looks at you, his face is full of indecision. You know that guilt about what had just happened is filling him, but you just want to see him happy again. You look him in the eyes as you say, "Please?" 

You win the fight raging inside Kocoum, and finally, he slowly makes his way to you. He takes right when he takes your hand, you pull him down so he is next to you. Once he is next to you, you pull him into a hug so he is in your arms. 

He wraps you up tight, his skin so cold compared to his usually warm skin. "I thought I lost you," he whispers and he holds you tight. "Why did you leave? I could have protected you..."

"It was the only way I could keep you safe..." He holds you tighter then, and you know that you are finally safe...

Wait...

How did he get you back? If the commander knows that you are here, he will hurt more people. And Thomas? What happened to him?

You pull away then, keeping his hand in yours. "What happened?"

He looks down, guilt starting to show again. "I had just gotten back from training the troops and I couldn't find you. You had disappeared and I didn't even know where and how to find you." Hearing how much worry you caused him makes you feel icky. A wave of guilt washes through your stomach, but you don't say anything as he continues, "Shortly after, I was talking with the commander when the boat appeared and you were on it. When I saw you on that boat, it was like everything was crumbling. They pushed you off and I couldn't get to you, my chief wouldn't let me go because he didn't want me to die."

"Good," you whisper. 

He looks up at you then, "I couldn't fathom a world where you weren't here with me. It was like each second I didn't see you appear, I was starting to disappear." You can see tears form in his eyes, and you feel the tears form in yours. You take your hand, rubbing your thumb where a tear falls. "Finally, the commander allowed me to try and get you. He was convinced you were dead, and I was too." You can see tears form in his eyes, and you are about to speak, but he places a finger on your lips. "I know what you're going to say, but still, I was so worried. I got you back to shore, and you weren't breathing."

Finally, you speak, "But you saved me. I'm alive because of you." Kocoum had managed to save your life, and he needed to realize that. 

"Barely, I mean look at you." He rubs his hands on the bruises on your arms. 

"I'm alive," you say again, kissing his cheek. "You saved my life. You did..."

"I would do it again," he says. He holds your hand, as he says, "I will always save you..." You reach over and kiss him, and you can feel him relax. 

You wondered if you were ever going to see him again and to have him back in your arms makes you feel finally free. 

He places his hand on your cheek, and his hand is so cold. You miss the warmth of him, and you want things to go back to the way they were...

But you know that when he pulls away, there is no possible way that things can go back to the way they were after everything that has happened.

He slides his hand down your cheek, down your arm, until your hands are connected. Even though you have him back, you remember that Thomas was there with you. Right when the calm hits, you ask, "What about my friend Thomas?"

"Thomas? Is that the boy who was with you? He's okay. Kai was actually the one who went in after him. They have him in a different tent. They are probably questioning as we speak."

"Thank goodness," you whisper. "But what about the commander? Does he know I'm alive?" You can't stop worrying about the commander coming and hurting the people you care about. 

He looks saddened by this, but he answers, "As far as we know, no. His boat was long away when I finally got you out."

You take a deep breath, finally able to breathe. Everything was going to be okay, and you were safe in his arms.

You curl into him, both of his arms wrapped around you and his chin on your head. He makes circular motions on your forearm, randomly giving kisses on the top of your head. 

After finally being in his arms, Kocoum whispers in your ear, "I love you..."