Fifteen

You are standing on the boat again, but this time, it isn't Thomas who is standing next to you, but Kocoum.

Like Thomas, Kocoum had bruises coating his face, and you are both standing on the edge. The sight causes your heart to break, and your mind is clouded with confusion. 

How did you end up back here? Where was Thomas? Kocoum has saved you and pulled you out of the water. 

Was it all a dream? Something that your mind made up to escape the reality of the truth? That somehow you failed, and they captured Kocoum and your mind needed a temporary escape? 

"You see this," the all too familiar words of the commander. "They know her by name!" These were the exact words the commander said before he pushed you in. 

"No!" You scream as you try to move back. You can't let them push Kocoum. Having him here means he too will drown.

But your fight is useless, and Kocoum knows it too as he says, "It's alright Y/n. We're here together and everything will be okay."

You cry, and he looks so sad. You know that this is the end, but you can't handle this outcome. Not when he too will die. 

The familiar feeling of being shoved off the deck, and you slam into the water, causing the breath to be knocked out of you. 

Then you wake, flying up, your breath ragged and fast. Your heart is racing, and tears are flooding out of your eyes.

"Y/n!" Kocoum is next to you, his hands on your cheeks. "Y/n! What's wrong?"

You can feel yourself calm at the sight of him, but still, your breaths are ragged. Fear and despair follow you from your dream.

"Tell me what is wrong Y/n." Kocoum's face is full of worry, and you lean your head against his, the feeling of his warmth keeping you together.

"Just a dream," you whisper. You were right, it was just a dream. Kocoum was here safe with you. "I'm sorry that I woke you up."

"It's alright," he whispers back, his breath warm against your skin. "You safe. I have you now and I will keep you safe." But that wasn't what made your dream into a nightmare. It wasn't that you were about to meet your death, but it was that Kocoum was there to meet it with you.

"But what about you?" You whisper back, saying, "Who will keep you safe?"

He pulls away, still keeping his hand on your cheek. "I don't need anyone to keep me safe. You are all I need, and there is nothing to save if you aren't here with me to keep me safe."

You smile and pull him into a kiss. This man, this man made you have so many emotions that you couldn't help but just love him more and more with each word. 

He pulls away, and says, "I love you so much Y/n."

You feel like you are about to explode, and those words make you feel so bright. This feeling you could have forever and it wouldn't be enough. 

"I love you too," you whisper.

You are about to kiss him again, but he says, "And there isn't another moment that I want to live without that love. I want to love you forever Y/n." He looks from your connected hands and then to your hands.

Your breath catches as he says these next words, "Will you marry me Y/n?"