Eleven

Thomas returns later that day with food, and a bucket of water to clean yourselves with. The dirt coating your skin smears as you scrub it away.

"Woah, I guess I didn't bring enough water," Thomas chuckles as he watches you scrub your arms.

"Ha ha," you laugh dryly. The bruises on your arm begin to stick out, dark purple patches coating your skin.

He pushes his arm against yours and leans against your bedpost. You guys are sitting on the floor, so you won't dirty your already disgusting bed.

He sighs as he says, "I need to be getting going. If he sees me with you, or notices I'm missing, there's no way he will allow me to see you again."

You sigh, looking over at him with sadness in your eyes. "I understand," you say. And you do too. You wouldn't rather him leave for a while than spend the rest of your time here without seeing him. "Just please come back soon."

"I'll come back as soon as possible," he says, standing and taking the bucket. 

You rise with him, wrapping your arms around him to pull him into a hug. He wraps in free arm around you, pulling you closer. "I will be back," he whispers in your ear.  He pulls away from your embrace and walks out of the room.

When you watch him close the door, you don't hear it lock. Did he do that on purpose?  Did he leave the door unlocked so you could leave?

You know that you can't leave, even if you want to. Leaving would cause him to go back to that wonderful place and hurt them. You sit back on your bed, curling into a ball. 

You don't want to cry anymore, but the tears roll down your cheeks anyway. You close your eyes, hoping that if you sink far enough into the bed, you will just disappear... 

*         *        *

When the door opens again, you fly out of bed hoping to see Thomas.

Thomas didn't come to see you...  

"That excited to see me huh?" You freeze at who is standing in front of you. Not answering, he says, "What are you doing sitting all the way over there, come and meet your commander."

When you don't say anything again, he lets out an annoyed groan. "Not speaking, well, then I'll just speak." He leans back against the wall, his arms crossing. "I'm not going to give you the details, but you are needed in 20 minutes. I want you presentable and ready to work by then."

Not getting time to respond, two more men walk in carrying boxes and crates, setting them down next to the commander. "I mean it. Ready in twenty."

The commander walks out, and you can't think. It all happened so fast. First, he was in, then he was out. You can still feel your heart racing as you watch him close the door behind him. It takes you a minute to walk over to the crates, but when you do, you freeze.

Inside, you see a dress, shoes, and a hairbrush. He wants you to get dressed in a fancy dress? Why could that be? What was he planning on having you do?

You pull out the dress, revealing a bright blue dress with pearls on the trim. White ruffles on the sleeves, and stitched flowers all around. It is the prettiest, ugliest dress you have ever seen. 

Reluctantly, you pull on the dress. Knowing that if you don't do what he says, he could hurt the people you care about. The shoes are the same shade of blue, and just as uncomfortable.

You brush the knots out of your hair, using a ribbon to pull your hair half up.

Moments after you are done getting ready, two guards walk into the room. You turn around to meet them and notice they have rope in their hands. Why would they need rope?