Chapter 3: The Arrival (Updated)

On board the JCS Yamato (BBY-01), the outside deck, 24th February 1639 C.C.Y.

"Minister Rinsui, look at that... incredible..." – Yagou

"What in the A-S-E is that?! I know and have seen the picture of the city we are going to... but to think that it would be to such an extent. I mean, even I don't think that the Milishials could build massive buildings like that. And... how much magic gem and oil would they need to light up just one of such tall buildings, let alone all of them?" – Rinsui

What they are seeing right now is the bustling skyline of Tokyo, the rebuilt capital city of Japan during the night. The 65th Escort Squadron has made the return trip in 2 days and is now sailing in the old Tokyo Bay. Normally, they should be able to do that in just less than one day, but right now they are limited to sailing the ocean on the return trip. This is because Japan Cosmos Navy HQ does not want to reveal much of their starship's capability and as such restricted every interstellar capable ship to only travel on the water. However, smaller cargo and passenger flying crafts are still permitted to fly, as forcing everyone to travel on the ground will impede too many people from doing their jobs properly, not to mention delaying the transport of vital goods throughout the country.

These travel restrictions were implemented not only to avoid further frightening the natives of this world more than it already is, but also to avoid exposing Japan's full military capabilities to anyone who meant them harm or wanted to take the UN and Japanese technology for themselves. After the discovery of Industrial era civilization on the Far west side of the planet, along with the overall big-eat-small culture of this world's diplomacy, the top brass of Japan's Cosmos military decided that it would be best to not reveal all of their cards, or at least until the time is right, mostly to ensure that Japan would have all the advantages if they come to full-blown conflict against one or more hostile native nations. Luckily, the shapes of many of these spaceships, designed to not only travel in space but also on the surface of the ocean, made it rather easy for its true capability to be concealed.

On the other hand, the high brass also took a few pages of Theodore Roosevelt's playbook to conduct some Gunboat Diplomacy when making the first contact with the possible civilization that exists on the large continent in the northwest. However, said operation needs to be planned very carefully, as it would have to be undergone by mostly non-aggressive ships that will not provoke the civilization that they would make contact with to take some drastic action, while at the same time still imposing enough to bring a message that Japan is a nation that not to be trifled with. Unfortunately, after the transference, the UNCN Japan Branch, now to be reformed as Japan Cosmos Navy, found itself a bit under-numbered with ships that they could actually use, at least until they could build new ones to replace it. As such, this operation would be undertaken by the JCS Ginga, a purpose-built exploration ship based on the Yamato, which is perfectly capable of performing long-range diplomatic tasks and defending itself, especially after the extensive upgrade on its mostly defensive armaments.

The water around the Yamato is filled with small civilian boats, mostly fishing boats, while in the skyline, there are dozens of flying craft traveling about. Then, toward the left of the battleship, they can see a large naval port with many warships of all peculiar shapes and varying sizes. A few moments later, Yamato and her squadron mates are docked at the expanded Yokosuka naval port while the Qua Toynians are still wandering around the deck and looking at the naval vessel. Even though it's already nighttime, the naval port is still bustling with activity. There are vehicles moving around the ports at all times, while vessels are coming in and out at a moment's notice. Many people are seen loading on and off containers from ships. It's all very fascinating to the Qua Toynians.

"Gentlemen, it has been an honor and pleasure to have you as our company on the way back. Well, we have now arrived at the naval port of Yokosuka, one of our important naval ports where many of our fleets were docked and based. Ambassador Loren will take care of you after disembarkation." – Commander Kodai, speaking while approaching the delegates from behind.