Chapter 29: Baptism of Fire

Important announcement at the end :)

Yashima Square, Amanoki, Fenn, 13th February 1640 CCY

After the militaries of Fenn and Gahara have gotten out of the square. They have successfully left everyone in awe with their newest equipment, and convinced many that they are not an easy opponent on the battlefield. Now, it's other countries' turn to show off their combat units. But... what is there to show off? The three countries from Rodenius are not going to participate in this parade, as they don't have enough large ships to transport their equipment. As well as that, since they got their equipment from the same source as Fenn and Gahara, it'd be pointless to show them again. On the other hand, seeing the countries like Mao and Riem have declined to participate in the parade, as they know, their armies would look pitiful compared to the Fennese and Gaharan, not talking about the Japanese.

Sitting on the viewing platform of the Parade are the two Muan officers. They are busying themselves with sketching and taking notes about the new weapons provided to the Fennese and Gaharans.

"I do really wonder what those tubes that the soldiers are carrying. But... those rifles... I think the box shape object positions underneath could be containers for bullets." – Lassan

"Is that so? Then... it would decrease the reloading time for the soldiers a lot. I think the ordinance department would love this information. They won't need to fiddle with those clips of rounds anymore. But... about the thing on top of the rifle... I think they are optical sights..." – Myrus

"Really? They have managed to minimize the size of those optical sights to such an extent. I mean... besides sharpshooters... our version of the optical sight is quite fragile and heavy, decreasing the size of them enough and making them rugged enough to use is quite hard..." – Lassan

"Yeah... that would indeed be a problem. But hey, be ready. After the Parpaldian would be the Japanese. I can't hardly wait to see what they have brought to the table." – Myrus

Now, before the Japan Cosmos Marine rolls into the square, it's the Parpaldian's turn to parade on the street of Amanoki. For a normal Parpaldian, it'd be the last chance to show to all that their glory and dominance are yet to fade away. But... everyone knows that whatever the Parpaldian can put on show, the Japanese can do even better, and the evidence is all around them. Per the order of Admiral Armos and the two Foreign Directors, Lieutenant General Bertran and his adjutant are already confined in the ship. The mighty army of Parpaldia instead will be led into the square by admiral Armos.

Admiral Armos rides into the Yashima Square on a big white horse, leading the Parpaldian Army. After him is the military band of the Parpaldian Military. These soldiers, instead of wielding muskets, are holding musical instruments like trumpets and drums. In the Napoleonic Era, communication on the battlefield was a huge problem for any army. Sending a messenger was sometimes not fast enough and was also very dangerous if the units in question were in the line of fire. So, musical instruments were thought of as the answer to this problem. The soldiers across the battlefield can hear specific commands by the changing notes played by the band. The military band is also a morale booster for the soldiers.

As they walk, the marching song of the Parpaldian Army is played out loud. The cavalry units are riding in right after the Military band. They carry at most a few flintlock pistols and a long cutlass as the constant rocking on the horse's back is not ideal for firing a single shot long musket. The unit is led by a standard bearer of the whole unit. Then lines after lines of infantry carrying muskets followed after the cavalry. Above the square, a formation of 36 wyverns is flying low to demonstrate that the Parpaldians Army is always covered with the fearsome wyvern lord. Then, behind the infantry are the Lindwurms, or land dragons. The land dragon of Parpaldia looks a lot like a snapping turtle. The difference is this creature is much larger with a spiky shell on its back and large spike on the head. Parpaldian Army Land dragons have a large standing platform built on top of their shells to transport troops and supplies, or as a firing platform if needed. This dreaded creature can also spit out fire like their winged brethren, but they have a longer firing duration instead of the short burst flame bullet of the wyverns.