Chapter 34: The Archangels' Descent

The Port of Cartalpas, Holy Milishial Empire, 29th February, 1640 CCY (Leap Year)

"Hey, look, look! The fleet is moving out!" – Children

"Such giant ships! I wonder where they are going!" – Children

Standing on top of the embankment looking out to the port, the people of Cartalpas are currently looking at a large fleet of 28 ships of the Holy Milishial Navy going out of port. It has been a very long time since an armada this large has ever left the port since the ending of the Second Muan-Milishial War. Most of the time, the people would usually see about 5-6 ships at most leaving port for various purposes, from training, and goodwill visits, to the most rare occasion, taking care of stray pirates.

Inside the coffee house near the port, the Thibault, a famous establishment that serves the finest of coffee to scholars and industry leaders of Milishial, the patrons are gossiping about the new hottest topic of the season: the country of Japan.

In the holy empire, most of the people here prefer having a cup of coffee rather than other alcoholic beverages. Most of the high society of Milishial thought of coffee as the correct choice of beverage for a civilized society due to its stimulating and awakening effects that help you to be more productive, not to mention the lack of intoxicating effect. As such, there are almost more coffee houses around the empire than taverns or bars, and employees and government staff are often given an allowance for coffee to help them work better.

But that doesn't mean wines and ales are something that the Milishials don't enjoy either. In fact, the Empire is home to some of the most famous wineries and breweries, including wine regions of the southern region that produce some of the best wines throughout Elysia. No gourmets can claim themselves to be well-versed in fine dining if wines from Montseau and Rousart regions have never passed their lips.

The discussion today at the Thibault Coffee House is much more heated, due to the recent broadcast from Japan that was streamed directly into every Milishial broadcast on the magic viewer due to the stronger frequency relayed by a passing Japanese telecommunication satellite.

"I do tell you, these people have no respect for our empire!"

"Oh shut it, they have a point. We cannot proclaim ourselves to be a civilized nation if we just keep dragging our feet on eradicating slavery, no matter where they are!" – Patron

"So what? That's not our business..."

"So we just let those barbaric practices from the dark time of the A.S.E exist? How can we protect the world from the forces of darkness if we don't commit ourselves to this?" – Patron

"Damn right!"

"We cannot just say that we are the defenders of light if this darkness still lingers around and we do nothing!"

"Just think about it. Dipping our hand into the Third Civilization Zone is just a waste of time. There's no guarantee that they'll even want our help!"

"Yes! And it could be a waste of money and effort! How can you guarantee that they'll follow what we say? Destabilizing the region for the naive ideal of some random nation is just absurd!"

"Oh yeah, I concur that your business partners in Parpaldia would fight vigorously against the will of the people they enslaved. The future will remember you as nothing but greedy businessmen!"

The discussion is very much heated, but on the other side of the elegant coffee house, some other patrons are quietly discussing other matters concerning Japan in a separate room overlooking the Cartalpas Harbor and the leaving armada. What they are looking at are the photos of Japanese ships from the launching ceremony, the beached ones in Courveil, other occasions, and the vessels that Japan built for their allies.