Chapter 43: The Revelation

Imperial Palace of Ragna, Ragna, Gra Valkas Empire, 9th March 1640 CCY

It was at 2 PM in the middle of the day when most people at Ragna were still busy at work, and yet the courtyard surrounding the Imperial Palace was filled with a mass congregation of people who were curious about the arrival of the enigmatic nation of Japan. When the first announcement comes from the Kaiser himself about the first contact, there's an equal amount of excitement and concern from the Gra Valkan public.

For the first time in a long time, the citizens of the empire can feel excited and curious while also wary about this new world, which has a lot of unknown possibilities and opportunities for prosperity but also has murdered one of their much respected imperial family members who has repeatedly advocated for peaceful contact with the new world. The event gained so much fanfare that it received extensive coverage by radio broadcasting companies within the Kaiserliche Medien Gesellschaft (KMG) and made headlines in many national and regional newspapers like Volksnachrichten, Der Erleuchtung and the Stimme des Imperiums, the latter of which are the Gra Valkan national daily newspaper with the largest circulation that were commissioned and sponsored directly by the Imperial Family.

The motorcades that carry both the Imperial Family and the Japanese Delegation stop in front of the gate of the Imperial Palace. The Imperial Guards standing on both sides of the way, each in their black uniform and a helmet similar to the pickelhaube decorated with the golden seal of the Imperial Family. Each of them is also holding a well-maintained Reiner Model 11-36 semi-automatic rifle, similar to the one used in the shock-troop element of the Kaiserliche Armee, but this variant specifically was manufactured for ceremonial purposes.

Standing behind the line of guards is the cavalry element of the Imperial Guards. Despite the use of Horse Cavalry having long gone out of fashion because of the introduction of machine guns and tanks, the Imperial Guards still retain and use them in the ceremonial troops. The cavalry is also very useful in clearing the crowd and road, as well as suppressing riots. And that's not even mentioning the large numbers of horse-drawn supply trains that are still in active service.

After the cars carrying them had stopped in front of the door, the Princess of Japan and her delegates walked together with the Kaiser into the Imperial Palace, to officially receive an audience with the Kaiser per the old Imperial tradition. While walking side by side to the Imperial Palace gates, both the Kaiser and Japanese princess are inspecting the lineup of the Imperial Guards in front of the palace as part of the official procession to receive a foreign delegation. These Imperial Guardsmen stood proud with complete discipline and integrity as they represented the cream of the crop of Kaiser's finest in front of a foreign royal.

In fact, the Gra Valkan Imperial Guards presented themselves with so much discipline and pride that the princess could not help but lightly hum The Imperial March, a very well-known theme song from an old Earth movie, during the inspection. Of course she does it without the Kaiser noticing, and even if he does notice the Kaiser wouldn't understand what that means.

"I have to say, your Majesty, the display of discipline that your guardsmen showed to us is certainly impressive." – Princess Mirai

"Thank you, Princess Mirai. Though, if it is not too much of a burden, I would like to see the martial prowess of your country." – Gra Lux

"As in a joint exercise, Your Majesty? Well, I can send a request back to the Central Command for that. But, due to our commitment with our allies at the moment, I don't know if they would agree." – Princess Mirai

"I see. There'll be other chances for me to witness it. But now, we have some other business to attend to." – Gra Lux

"Of course, lead the way, Your Majesty." – Princess Mirai