Chapter 5: Operation Enduring Humanity (1) (Updated)

Tokyo, Japan, Diet Building, 9th October 1639 C.C.Y / 9th November 2206 A.D

Reporters, journalists, and correspondents are now gathering at the Diet Building to listen to the new announcement that the provisional Prime Minister Heikuro Todo is going to make. Red lights turn on as the PM walks out with Ambassador Yagou from Qua Toyne. Both leaders have a solemn expression on their faces.

"Today, the 9th of October, central calendar year 1639, or the 9th of November, Anno Domini year 2206, at precisely 3 am Morning, the Kingdom of Louria unilaterally started a war of aggression against our ally, the Principality of Qua Toyne. Our satellites and surveillance systems have captured the scene of unbelievable cruelty. We are thoroughly shocked by the atrocities perpetrated by the soldiers of Louria. And now, Japan has received calls for help from the Principality of Qua Toyne against this Lourian aggression. They are our friends and we shall answer with everything we have to help our friends in need." – Heikuro Todo

The image on the scene changes from the logo of the reformed Japan to the scene of utter destruction of the villages occupied by the Lourian. The deceased corpses are blurred, but the images can still give the people a clue of how brutally those captured by the Lourian are treated. The whole Diet building falls silent. Not far from there, scenes of people in chains can be seen. They are taken as slaves. Stripped of everything but a rag to cover their body. So dehumanizing. The people are shocked. The scenes remind them of something they have long thought was not possible. Something... that not even their own nation was innocent of. But... this is the new world, and they have to accept it.

"I... offer my gratitude on behalf of my countrymen. It was... horrible watching what they did to my own countrymen. I believe justice is on our side. People of Japan. Thank you for coming to our help." – Ambassador Yagou

"That is why... Japan will declare war with the aim of capturing those war criminals and bringing them to justice! Those actions cannot be tolerated and cannot be permitted to exist! I declare now, the war against the Kingdom of Louria! They have moved this far into the rightful land of our friends, but they'll not be allowed to move any further! We'll stand together with our first friend and ally in this new world, we'll defend Qua Toyne, as we have promised them. With this, I announce Operation Enduring Humanity, with the aim to not only defend Qua Toyne, but also the total capitulation of the Lourian Government, and capture the leader of those war criminals." – Heikuro Todo

Flashes flare up from the cameras. While the announcement of war was expected by the government, it was still a surprise. Never before had they seen Heikuro Todo, a much respected leader in the UN Far East Branch speak with such vigor... and anger. Because Louria decided to invade a sovereign country, and all the while their invading army had caused all sorts of atrocities, the public of Japan understandably riled up to support the decision without any reservation. The samurai of the East has now unsheathed his sword, and his enemy won't see him coming.

For Japan, it's not just about the food, tourism, trade, or political reputation anymore. It has become the defense of their first-ever friend and ally in this world, their value, their freedom, and their humanity in the face of tyranny and atrocity. If they don't do something now... how can they face the future generation knowing their forefathers did nothing when innocent people were being slaughtered and enslaved?

Worst still, there are reports that some of Japan's very own citizens have been captured. The citizens who volunteered in Japanese-assisted developments near the border region didn't have the chance to escape the invasion. No. Those monsters will be stopped. Just as the temporary PM Heikuro Todo said, their advance will stop at that line, this far but no further!

 Just as the temporary PM Heikuro Todo said, their advance will stop at that line, this far but no further!