Part 5

PART 5: UMBRA

PLAYLIST: HOOVERPHONIC-  MAD ABOUT YOU 

As I gazed at the phone screen in my hand, the melody of his song continued to echo in my ears

As I gazed at the phone screen in my hand, the melody of his song continued to echo in my ears. His voice was a blend of magic, enchantment, and love that lingered in my mind like a broken record.

"Let no one leave anyone in this story..."

Raven noticed my distraction and switched off her phone before placing it on her chest. Despite her attention being on me, she seemed to blend into my existence as though she had always been a part of my life.

"Are you trying to find peace here?" I asked, gesturing towards my room. "In my room?" I continued, lowering my voice.

She stared at me blankly for a few seconds before covering her face with her arm, as if trying to ignore my presence. What was wrong with these people?

"Hey, Crow King, find somewhere else to sleep," I said as I approached him, poking him gently.

In a swift movement, he grasped my wrist through my cardigan and tossed me onto the bed beside him. I was grateful I didn't scream, but his breath on my neck took my breath away, causing my heart to race and my breathing to become erratic. He wrapped his arm around my stomach, and with his forehead resting on my back, he began to take deep breaths. As his breath warmed my back, my stomach cramped painfully. I didn't know if it was because of his presence, but my stomach was in a terrible state.

I realized I was about to vomit, but I didn't know how to free myself from his embrace, nor did I have enough time to run to the washroom. In a moment of desperation, I did something that would drive my mother crazy - I vomited on the cream carpet.

Despite feeling like an eternity, it all happened in just a few minutes. I couldn't bring myself to look at the mess on the carpet as Raven stood behind me. My stomach felt hollow, and the sour taste in my mouth lingered as I tried to compose myself.

"Mom..." I croaked out, still feeling sick.

Raven's hands were on my shoulders, trying to steady me, but it only made me feel worse. The sweat on my forehead dripped down my neck, and my body shook with each gag.

"Don't go," I pleaded with Raven, my voice barely above a whisper. "It's happening because of you."

I shuffled away from him, trying to distance myself, but the nausea persisted. My throat burned as I took another deep breath, and I felt parched.

"Please go," I begged, sliding to the other end of the bed. "I'm getting worse."

As Raven left the room, I stumbled to the window and threw it open to let in the cool night air. The chill made me shiver, but it was a welcome relief. I tried to take deep breaths and calm myself, but the mess on the carpet and my ruined uniform only added to my frustration.