Part 11

Playlists - Sam Tinnesz - Far From Home

I looked at the blue wig in my hand once again

I looked at the blue wig in my hand once again. It was the biggest characteristic of the alternate identity I had created for myself. Unlike my real character, the owner of this wig was a cheerful, carefree, and colorful girl. It wasn't me. Like a hero that impresses a writer, I had created a fake personality that impressed people. I wasn't myself. It was just someone else who carried pieces of me.

Those were just things that happened before. Time had passed quickly and taken my boring life with it. Now my life was completely different. I feel like the main character in a fantasy book. The daughters of the Neva, the sons of Fire... My father, whom I knew as an ordinary sailor, was actually the King of another land... And there was a man who I felt strange things with when he was around. Raven.

I put the wig back in the drawer. I don't know if I would play that girl again, wearing it. I didn't want to do it now, but maybe someday I would be 'Blue-Headed Girl' again.

My phone in the back pocket of my dark navy skinny jeans vibrated loudly. When I took my phone in my hand, there was a new message from Raven on WhatsApp. He had sent a photo. This was the portrait he had given me as a gift for my birthday.

Matilda: "Thank you so much for this unique gift, again."

A stupid smile appeared on my face. It was just a gift. I should expect something or feel nothing... But it wasn't up to me. I felt special because he did this. He made me feel happy.

King of Crows: "Camellia..."

He's typing... typing... typing...

He stopped and continued to type for a few minutes. While waiting eagerly at my phone, I sat on my bed.

King of Crows: "Good night. :)"

Matilda: "Good night."

"Matilda!" my mom shouted from downstairs. "Can you come down, dear?"

I jumped out of bed and made my way down the stairs, but stopped in my tracks at the sight of my mom standing there with a big smile on her face. And next to her, my dad. When he saw me, he walked towards me in shock.

"Matilda? Hello, my daughter," he said as he embraced me.

"Da-dad..." I stuttered, feeling a strange mix of emotions as he kissed my white hair.

After a few more minutes of hugging, we made our way to the living room. It was strange being around my dad. He wasn't a stranger, but he also wasn't quite a friend. I couldn't quite put a name to the feeling. We talked about family matters for about half an hour before the conversation turned to school. Ah, yes. A new school was in order.

"I'm thinking of taking Matilda with me. There's a really good school where I'm going that would be perfect for her," he said, causing my mom to furrow her brows in concern.