Part 19

"There is a council," he said, and though I was aware of the council he mentioned, I nodded my head without interrupting

"There is a council," he said, and though I was aware of the council he mentioned, I nodded my head without interrupting. "The Council of Spirits, the supreme council of souls that can judge and execute Arthur. They somehow learned that Arthur has a child, and it's likely you."

"I don't understand, aren't they spirits? Can't they see me?" I asked. He shook his head negatively and caressed my cheek with his fingers. A smile of understanding for my ignorance formed on his face.

"No, my dear," he said, taking a deep breath before continuing. "They don't roam around as you think. They have their own temple and don't leave unless someone sends them a message. Someone who learned the truth about you must have informed them."

I raised my eyebrows in surprise. His finger on my cheek moved up to my eyebrow, tracing its shape. "Who could have learned it?" I asked, noticing a faint shadow pass over his face.

"That's what I'm very curious about too," he said, his eyes gleaming darkly. Seeing the expression on his face, I frowned, and he softened his gaze.

"Don't worry, I won't let them harm you," he assured, then gently pressed his lips to my hair.

"What are we going to do?" My voice was laden with helplessness. The thought of causing my father's death, whom I loved more than life itself despite his frequent absence, was enough to haunt my nightmares.

"Don't worry about it. We will find a way," he said, taking my hand. "Let's go." After looking at our intertwined hands, he stood me up with him.

"Should I go first?" I asked, and he looked at me thoughtfully.

"I think Arthur knows that I haven't given up on you. In our current situation, I'm the only person who can keep you safe. Now that they know who you are, no one can protect you better than me. And he knows that."

"Will they attack directly?" I asked in horror, and his lips formed a straight line.

"It's unlikely, but possible," he said with a stressed voice.

"What about my father? Will he be safe?"

"He's a King. He can certainly take care of himself."

"Could they harm my mother and brother?" I asked, my voice filled with fear. The thought made my heart constrict. The uncertainty in Raven's eyes caused a searing pain in my heart, as if it was pierced by an iron spike.

"We need to get them to safety as soon as possible."

"Daisy..." I suddenly blurted out, an idea lighting up in my mind, and turned to Raven. "Could the informant be her? She's touched me several times."

"The King thought of her first too. She was interrogated personally by Goat. She knows nothing," he said, prompting me to decide to share my thoughts with him.

"But she consciously claims to be your girlfriend," I said petulantly. He frowned at me, a look of irritation in his eyes.

"Can you elaborate a bit more on what you mean, My Wildflower?"