Part 17

Arthur spoke as if asking, "You can't control your powers, can you, Camellia?" I started examining the throne he was sitting on. It was adorned with massive golden embellishments, likely crafted from melted silver with black paint added to achieve a shiny color. At the throne's end, the symbols of the four elements were gleaming in a dazzling manner.

"Yes, sir," I replied, and my voice sounded somewhat muted, probably due to spending too much time by the lake. Arthur looked at me with thoughtful blue eyes, as if he had noticed.

"Since you are not an ordinary student, you will start working with special trainers to develop your powers," he said, and I began to look at him with curiosity. He didn't want me to work with Raven, did he?

"After what you and Raven went through, I don't think it's appropriate for both of you to work together. Raven is one of my best trainers, but I'm not sure what you can accomplish without mixing your emotions or how long you can endure it. That's why I want you to work with my daughter Eleanora and my son Mattia. I'm confident they will be of great assistance to you in this matter."

"However you see fit, sir," I said, barely a minute had passed. Working with Eleanora would be great, but working with Mattia would be difficult; he was moody, rebellious, and we clearly didn't like each other.

"Classes will start from today," he said, taking a deep breath. His eyes resembled my father's, but I still couldn't feel that warmth. I swallowed hard.

"Very well, sir." The salt and ice in my heart were reflected in my voice.

"You may leave, dear Camellia," he continued, and there was a cold smile on his face.

"Good day, sir."

As I rushed out of Arthur's room, I saw Raven standing at the door. His black eyes looked remorseful as he glanced at me. Passing by me, he entered, and I could still hear Arthur's raised voice from inside, freezing my feet in place.

"Raven, congratulations to you. You are doing what I told you, keeping away from my daughter. It's for the best for both of you."

It took me some time to digest what I had heard, and I noticed one of the guards at the door giving me a hostile look. I ordered my feet to move and began to walk without knowing where to go.

What did this mean now? Why did my father want Raven to stay away from me? But why? He hadn't said anything from the beginning. Why was he asking for this now? Why was Raven accepting it? How could they both turn a blind eye to my unhappiness? One was my father, and the other was the man I loved. I was his daughter and his beloved. Why were they exploiting my happiness for their own gains?

As I reached the corridor where Raven's study was located, I continued to move forward with similar questions in my mind, ignoring the eyes that were watching me. Standing in front of Raven's door, knowing it was locked, I had nothing else to do but wait. I had memorized all the intricate designs on the brown door that I could trace them without looking. When I felt Raven's presence behind me, I realized I had been standing like this for more than ten minutes. Without caring about the kick I had received in my heart, I ignored it and reached out to stop him from closing the door as he was about to do. He looked at me without touching me with his cold gaze, ignoring my broken pride once again.