Part 9

PART 9: BIRTHDAY 

PLAYLIST: BARIS MANCO-  LITTLE DARLIN'

I've been rolling in bed for hours with a stupid smile on my face

I've been rolling in bed for hours with a stupid smile on my face. I couldn't help but think of the moment Raven held my hand and I covered my face with laughter.

I was in such good spirits that I'm not sure how to describe it now. It's like the joy you feel when someone gives you a book that you've been eagerly waiting for as a gift, or the excitement you feel when you finally get to see a movie that you've been looking forward to for a long time. It's like the happiness you experience when you finally get to indulge in your favorite dessert after a long time. It's a feeling of pure happiness that's hard to put into words. I felt more elated and foolish than I ever had before.

But why did Raven open my phone?

"Camellia..."

Usually, the men around me would pick up my phone using abusive and rude words. Even the characters I read about in books were sometimes rude. But Raven was different. He was smart, kind, and tough as nails, but he didn't have the kind of toughness that made him look bad. And his eyes... they were beautiful. Not just his eyes, but also his smile, the smooth structure of his teeth, his deep dimples... oh, and how could I forget his shiny black hair? It looked so lush and soft! Speaking of soft, weren't his hands too soft for a man's hands? And, of course, Raven was the first man to hold my hand.

I took my phone from under my pillow and opened WhatsApp without waiting. I clicked on his profile picture and swept my admiring glances over his face. I remembered what I had said to him and suddenly felt embarrassed. Did I tell him how handsome he is? No, I said he's the most handsome person I've ever seen. No, wait, I think I said he's the most handsome ghost I've ever seen. How did I say that again? Sleepy head, that was my response. He didn't bring up the subject again, but what did I say?

"Matilda?" I heard a soft female voice and lifted my head from my pillow to see my mother standing in the doorway with a glass plate in her hand. She was looking at me with a doubtful expression on her face, probably because of the grin that was still plastered on my face. But since I don't have a girlfriend, I quickly wiped the smile off my face.

"Yes, Mom?" I said, my eyes fixed on the plate in her hand. Was that chocolate pudding?

"Do you want some pudding?" she asked as she entered my room. She placed the pudding on my nightstand and her curious gaze fell on my phone. Raven's picture was in plain sight.

"Who?" he asked, raising his eyebrows.

"Isn't the model very handsome?" I asked, silently thanking my quick thinking and ability to lie flawlessly.

"It is," he replied with a shrug. "Shall I turn off the light?" he added, as he was about to leave.

"No, goodnight."