The Official Heir

Only the dead have seen the end of the everlasting war

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It had been five days since Aemma's return to King's Landing. Rhaenyra had sent word to Lord Cregan Stark for the return of Princess Alysanne and Princess Vaella, Elaena was to stay in the north until she was old enough to be wed to Cregan's son and heir. The war was not over, but Aemma felt confident she could protect her children in King's Landing as long as they held it and even if Aemond could take King's Landing surely he would not slay his own children.

Helaena and Aemma had spent much needed time with one another, Helaena was readying Aemma for the ceremony officially naming her heir to the throne. Aemma had her hair braided into a bun, similar to her mothers on the day she was named heir with a black and red dress, the colors of her house, with a blue cloak the colors of House Velaryon for her fallen brothers. Since the death of Jace, Aemma had renounced the name Targaryen and would be known as a Velaryon until the time in which she would ascend the throne.

"What are you thinking about?" Helaena asked as she placed the cloak around her shoulders, Aemma had stared at herself in the mirror in front of the two girls, complementing telling Helaena the truth.

"I wish my brothers were here with us, to share this moment. And our children..all of them." Aemma mumbled, Helaena pressed her face against Aemma's from behind snuggling into her as Aemma squeezed her hands against Helaena's. They shared that pain together, the loss of a child and the loss of Jace and Luke. There was a hole punched through their hearts, the losses of war hanging heavy on their minds still.

"They are with us, Em. Always." Helaena mumbled sending Aemma comfort in a way only Helaena was able too. "You may not see them, but feel them...in the breeze, upon a fallen leaf, in the trickles of the rain falling down such as now." Helaena and Aemma cut theirs eyes to the window as the rain fell slightly harder, thunder boomed throughout the walls of the Red Keep. The sky seemed to match Aemma's mood, this was supposed to be a happy day for her. She was to be named the official heir to the Iron Throne, but all she could think about was what she had lost to get here. Her mother's seat was not safe, nor her status as heir as long as her uncles' held breath in their body.

"I do feel them, but it is not the same."

"No...It is not." Helaena reached on the table and grabbed a pin she had made for Aemma on this day, a way to make her feel better. It was two dragons, one large, one small, such as a mother and her child. "I had something made for you." Aemma turned her body to see the pin Helaena had clutched in her hand. She knew who it was a reference to as soon as she seen the pin, it was her and her son, her baby boy who lost his life to a war he took no part in, her sweet Daemon. Aemma forced a smile as Helaena placed the pin in Aemma's hair completing her outfit for the ceremony. A soft knock sounded through Aemma's chambers before the door was opened revealing Aemma's escort, Addam Velaryon. Aemma and this Velaryon boy had grown accustom to one another, they were more cordial than the other dragon riders, apart from the brown girl, Nettles. Aemma seemed fond of her father's bastard daughter, Nettles was kind and cared for her brother and that was enough for Aemma to warm her heart towards her.

"Princesses, it is time." His voice was soft, the Velaryon had always seemed to soften in the presence of the Princess Aemma, his eyes latched on to Aemma as she turned around to face him. Helaena stood behind Aemma watching the interaction between the two, she noticed the way Addam was eyeing Aemma. She knew the boy must have feeling for her best friend. "Her Grace, the Queen has sent me to escort you to the throne room."

"Did she now?" Helaena chimed in causing a true smile to arise to Aemma's face, Addam seemed to fumble with his words for a second, before Aemma saved him.