4. i'm sorry

Monday

Monday

The ranch woke up with a chill that morning. Sure the seasons were slowly changing and spring was settling in, but it was deeper than that. Spencer Dutton woke up with a grudge that Monday morning, and she was more than willing to share the hate she was feeling with everyone else. Even Beth was steering clear of the girl after a run in in the hallway. It seemed the only person brave enough to face her wrath today was Lloyd.

"What's got you all worked up, Buck?"

Spencer didn't acknowledge the older man, just kept adjusting her tack.

"Wouldn't happen to involve a certain brown-haired foreman who looks like he's got his tail tucked between his legs?"

That got a reaction from Spencer, a flick of a smirk appeared almost as quickly as it cleared her face. Lloyd had the pair figured out ages ago, but was respectful enough to keep it hidden, not wanting to spook them. It seemed now was the time for spooking, however.

"You knew?"

"Oh you two are not as slick as you think you are," Lloyd laughed as he clapped Spencer's shoulder lightly, "But a little romance is good for the bones."

Spencer rolled her eyes but chuckled at the man. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you."

"It's alright Buck, I've had my fair share of secrets. I understand the appeal. But what's going on? He's been looking at you longer than normal today."

"He slept with Beth."

"Did you see them?"

Spencer look of disgust caused Lloyd to chuckle. "You realize there may be more to that story right? I swear it's like you two were raised in a barn."

Spencer dead-panned at the white-haired man before pointing, a smile creeping onto her face. "You're not funny." Although she couldn't help but chuckle at the joke.

Off in the distance, Spencer caught Rip's eye, who immediately looked away when he had been caught. She turned back to Lloyd and shook her head.

"I don't want to deal with that right now."

"That's fine Buck, but you're gonna have to soon."

She only nodded, about to mount Rebel when she saw a very familiar truck pulling down the driveway. What the hell was Kayce doing here? Spencer waited until Kayce parked, watching as both doors opened and Tate came running toward her.

"Auntie Spence!" Tate yelled as he ran, jumping into her arms like he had the other day. Kayce smiled at his son's antics, surprised the boy was more excited to see his aunt than his grandfather who was approaching.

"Kayce what's going on?" Spencer asked as she walked back over with Tate on her back.

"Monica is at school and I have some stuff to do," He started as he turned to John, "Can I leave him here for a little? Shouldn't be too long."