35. broken

When Dustin had said a few days, Spencer didn't realize he had actually meant a few days

When Dustin had said a few days, Spencer didn't realize he had actually meant a few days. The sun had risen at least three times since she had been there, but she also wasn't sure how long she had been out for. But that third morning, it seemed Dustin finally decided he had enough of waiting around.

Spencer had woken up to rustling in the room around her, snapping her awake and to the far corner of the bed she had so nicely been given. She swore she could feel her heart crack as she saw who was holding it.

"Cole?" Spencer whispered, shock and horror tumbling around each other in her gut. His blue eyes snapped to Spencer, and the words began to stumble from the brunet.

"Look, I know this looks, like, really, really bad," Cole's words jumbled with how fast his mouth was moving. "But it's not what it seems I-"

"Was just leaving, right Cole?" Dustin spoke in the doorway, his demeanor calm but cold toward his friend.

Had they all been in on this? That was the question flipping around in Spencer's mind as she watched Cole leave, so many words left in the air between them. Dustin coughed, pointing a hand to the food Cole had left.

"Eat, we have a lot to get done today."

Apparently there were to be no questions as the door slammed promptly behind Dustin. Spencer looked at the food, her concern of being drugged much lower than her hunger at that point. Eggs and toast, too hard to dose with anything, she thought as she shoveled the food into her mouth.

She waited a few more minutes, trying to hide how hungry she had been. No reason to give the asshole any more power over her.

"I'm done," she hollered, wincing at how hoarse she sounded. The door opened once again, Dustin beckoning her forward without a word.

She had assumed she was in one of the Beck houses, and given the decor and furniture she was right. Every wall contained at least one stuffed bust, all with plaques for who had taken the life. She tried to ignore how many belonged to Dustin. God, she hadn't even suspected Dustin to be this level of crazy. Granted, she assumed it ran in the DNA with how psychotic Malcolm and Teal were. Spencer began to wonder which one was Dustin's dad. Probably Malcolm, she didn't think anyone could stomach looking at Teal long enough to have a kid with him.

Dustin paraded her down to a meeting room, because what stable family didn't have one of those in their home. He pointed to a chair, smiling as she sat, as if he thought she was going to submit that easily.

"What do you want?" That was the question that had been burning in the back of her mind since she had woken up that first day. Sure she could understand Malcolm and Teal being pissed. But Dustin? The only issue they had was her rejecting him, but that seemed pretty mild for this kind of response.

Dustin smirked, a small laugh sneaking through. "You cost my family a lot of money when you wrote that check, you know that? God I could've been retired before I ever had to work. The Taylor's were going to sell us their ranch and we were going to build a casino to rival Rainwater. And you Spencer. You messed the whole thing up."