28. a promise

The press conference the Sheriff's office held had been enough to confirm to both John and Kayce that Dan wasn't behind the attack on the cattle

The press conference the Sheriff's office held had been enough to confirm to both John and Kayce that Dan wasn't behind the attack on the cattle. But it hadn't stopped either of them from sending Kayce in to ruffle Dan's feathers. It had been a week without contact with Sawyer or Spencer, and it had the ranch in a standstill.

It had been easy enough to convince Ryan to ride along with Kayce, he had been itching for a reason- any reason- to see Sawyer. And Kayce used that to his advantage. Had he known how Spencer would have reacted, he would have brought the whole damn agency.

"What the hell happened to you?" Monica shouted as Kayce walked through the door, battered and bruised extensively. She hopped up from her seat, pulling Kayce to sit on the bed.

"Spencer happened."

"Why would you go see her?"

Kayce laughed, but groaned as the movement jostled his ribs. "I didn't, I saw Jenkins. Spencer's been there all week."

Monica paused her inspection of Kayce's wounds. "Why?"

Kayce sent her a pointed look, not wanting to drudge through Spencer's drama, but it was clear she wasn't having that. "Dad messed up, Spencer moved out. What else do you want me to say Monica?"

"The truth."

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Spencer sat with ice on her hand as Sawyer poured them both a drink. Despite the early hour, it seemed the day had already been long enough for the two of them.

"Did you really have to hit him?" Sawyer asked as she slid the rocks glass to Spencer.

"He earned that shit ages ago Sawyer, don't start with me," Spencer hissed as she flexed her hand. She had missed her mark earlier, her knuckles scraping against the chain Kayce wore around his neck. She shuddered, thinking about how he had let her hit him with no fight whatsoever.

"It's okay, you know." Sawyer said as she patted Spencer's knee. "It's okay to be mad at them. At him."

Spencer shook her head. "If I let myself be mad, I'll make a decision that will ruin everything. If I feel more than nothing I'll damn my family."

"Is that so wrong?" Dan asked as he walked into the kitchen. He had left the girls alone after the spat with Kayce, cleaning himself up and adding security. "Your father sent your own brother here, armed and ready to kill, I might add."

"You don't get involved with the Beck brothers." Sawyer spoke up. "Everything they do helps them, and no one else. And they will do anything it takes to win."

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Malcolm's son had the plan finalized, he only needed to find one last thing. The loose strand at Yellowstone. He knew the girls had moved out of the ranch in the dead of night, but that only made his job easier. Now, he just needed a distraction.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Spencer watched the light fade on her phone once again, only to see it immediately light up with Rip's contact once again. Every night for the past week he had called for an hour straight. She knew that he knew where she was and that she knew what John had put him up to. She caved, answering the call on its last ring.

"Spencer?"

She almost buckled at the desperation in Rip's voice. She wasn't even sure she was mad at him anymore, or she ever had been. Deep down Spencer knew Rip would lay down the world for her, and would stop at nothing to give her everything she wanted. But it didn't mean his love didn't swallow her whole in the worst ways possible at times.

"Baby I'm so sorry," Rip couldn't help it as the words tumbled from him. "Fuck, I'm an idiot I know that. But I-I couldn't hold you back like that and I panicked. It's been so hard not seeing you, but I know that's what you need and I'm sorry for calling. I just- hearing your voice, even just your voicemail, it's all I can do to keep myself from coming to see you. I sent you something, I know it's stupid, but I wanted you to have it. I'm so sorry Darling."

Spencer couldn't hear anything else as she hung up the phone, her tears clouding her vision as Sawyer walked into the room. The blonde pulled her into her arms, clutching Spencer as she sobbed. She hadn't seen Spencer cry this much, well ever really, but it killed her to see her friend in so much pain. Ryan had told her how Rip was a shell of himself as well, like the one was completely lost without the other. It pained them both to see such strong people crumbled to pieces yet still so in love.

Sawyer fiddled with the box in her hand, unsure of if she could give it to Spencer now given the state of her.

"I know this is probably the worst time, but something came in the mail for you today."

Spencer sat up, nauseous passing over her for a moment from how quickly she moved. "Give it to me."

"Spence I don't-"

"Please."

Sawyer huffed but nodded, pulling the box from the bed behind her. It was a plain box, large enough to fit a number of things inside, but Spencer could place that barely legible handwriting anywhere. Rip.

Spencer sighed, pulling in one deep breath after another for a minute before taking the box. She was surprised at how light it was, shocked at the rattling inside. She looked up to Sawyer who only shrugged her shoulders. Spencer ripped off the tape, pulling the box open with a gasp.

She had heard the story about that ring, about the brave woman it belonged to. And she had seen it reside comfortably around Rip's neck since the day she met him all those years ago. Yet here it sat in front of her, a letter at its side.

Spencer,

I know this is the worst way and worst time to give you this, but like me, this ring belongs to you. I think it always has, and I know it always will. I'm sorry it took me so long to realize that. To realize that my world didn't revolve around Yellowstone, it spun around you. It has been hell trying to keep myself away, to give you the space I know you deserve.

I think a part of me has loved you since I met you. My rebel child with a heart of gold. You have always been and always will be a force to be reckoned with. Please know that every decision I made has been to show everyone who doubted you how strong you are. To show them the glorious and brave woman I have loved everyday, and will love for the rest of my life.

Take this as a promise. A promise that I will give you all of me, everyday until I die, until you tell me to walk away. I will fight for you and for us with every breath I have. As long as you have this ring, I know one day I can make this up to you.

To my heart and soul,

Rip