12. truth will set you free... maybe

Tuesday

Tuesday

Spencer and Sawyer both woke to a call from Dan Jenkins. Waves of concern and fear were coursing through them both as they drove into the country club. As Spencer pulled in, she saw Sawyer sitting on the hood of her car, bouncing her phone in her hands. Sawyer had never been one to get into serious trouble, at the most a scolding from a parent, teacher, or cop. But both her and Spencer had been less than forthcoming about their backgrounds. Sure it was a bigger risk for Spencer, but the feeling still left the blonde feeling unsettled.

"Relax S, just let me do most of the talking, okay?" Spencer offered as the pair walked inside. One of them had to stay level headed, and it was becoming very clear that that girl would not be Sawyer. "And we didn't even do anything wrong, if Dan knows he's just gonna be pissed. He can't actually fire us for who we're related to."

Sawyer nodded, if only to psych herself into feeling better. Her mind had been racing since she listened to the voicemail from Dan.

I need you and Spencer to come in, there's something urgent we need to discuss about new information I've been provided.

Dan was sitting in his office, his assistant and a few members of his legal team there as well. The face that surprised and concerned Spencer the most, however, was that of Thomas Rainwater. And the new leader of the Broken Rock Reservation seemed equally surprised to see a Dutton working for Dan. The pair shared a nod of hello, both watching each other in concern. There were too many plans in play for both of them, teetering on the continued cooperation of Dan Jenkins.

"Good morning ladies, thank you for coming in on your day off," Dan smiled as he sat, stretching a hand to have the rest of the room sit as well. "I have a wonderful opportunity for you both, if you choose to agree. As of right now, myself and Mr. Rainwater are looking to endorse a candidate to run for Livestock Commissioner in the next election. And I understand it's a big ask, it's going to be a tough road running against John Dutton. However, for the safety of Paradise Valley expansion, and for growth of Broken Rock, this needs to be done."

Sawyer turned to Spencer, her eyes as big as saucers, which would have made Spencer laugh had the situation not been so tense. She looked back toward Dan, doing her best to reign in her shock before she spoke. "I don't mean to sound rude, but what makes you think we're at all suitable for that role?"

It was then that Thomas Rainwater perked up. "We don't. But someone young, someone new, paired with John's questionable decisions as of late, it doesn't really matter who we put into that position. When you win, we would supply you with a comparable staff who would make the decisions. All you would have to do is sign off on them."

"I'm sorry, there's not a shot in hell I'm doing that," Sawyer laughed, "The last thing I want to do is get involved in a fight with the Dutton family. All that would do is put my family on their war path, and we don't have the resources for that battle."