14. 180

Friday

Friday

Spencer arrived at Paradise Valley to see a less than fruitful meeting between Dan and Thomas ending. She smirked as she passed Rainwater, beyond pleased with how pissed off the man looked. Dan waved her in, him and his team walking out to the terrace just off the conference room. Spencer scanned over the paperwork quickly as she walked past, trying to retain any important information she could.

"What do you know about Rainwater?" Dan asked Spencer as she joined the group outside.

She scoffed, "You're going into business with a man you don't even know? I thought you were supposed to be a good businessman Dan."

Dan turned fully to the girl, less than displeased with her answer. "What do you know."

"He's just as shady as every politician you'll meet in Montana," Spencer started. "If you give him the hope of an inch, he'll take you for the whole acre. His only goal is to take my father's land, and you happen to be an easy target."

Dan's colleagues looked shocked at the honesty coming from Spencer, especially with her connection to both Rainwater and John. However, her bluntness only made Dan laugh.

"And what would you do if you were me?"

Spencer pondered for a moment. "Honestly? I'd take Thomas Rainwater for all he's worth. As much as he wants to help his people, the only thing he's going to do is make their lives' so much harder. He's poisoning his home with his own hatred for my father. And for once I can actually say the only thing my father did was be there."

Dan nodded, as if truly considering Spencer's words. If he was, she wasn't sure. He raised his hand, dismissing his lawyers like a king, leaving only Spencer and himself on the terrace.

"How would you feel if I asked you to take a look into Mr. Rainwater's interests, as well as your father's?" he asked as he motioned for Spencer to sit.

"You're serious?" she questioned. The last thing she wanted, or needed for that matter, was to be playing double agent.

"Very. I trust your opinion Spencer. You chose to speak the truth in an instance many wouldn't, that's the kind of people I want surrounding me. Helping me." Dan began to ramble on. "I'd give you something, of course, in exchange for your help. Whatever it is you want."

It was then that Spencer realized how dangerous of a situation she was in. Stepping into a role of power gifted to her by the likes of Jenkins and Rainwater would do nothing but help their initiative. But Rainwater was the one with the brains, Dan was clueless. He couldn't be able to give Spencer enough for the grief she would go through. Shortest stint as political candidate ever, she chuckled at her internal monologue.

"The only thing I want is to protect my home." Spencer straightened as she spoke, pulling her strength from within. "And I thought sitting here, helping you and Rainwater, I thought that would help. But you two are so stuck in your own little game, you'll destroy yourselves before I lift a finger. You want some advice, Dan? Go home. Sell the land to me and go back to California. This war you think you're fighting, you're going to lose because you can't see what everyone else sees. Shit, it took Rainwater less than a minute to realize I've been lying to you for months."