22. old dirt, new wounds

Spencer stood outside her father's hospital room, watching as her old man shuffled around, pretending he wasn't in pain

Spencer stood outside her father's hospital room, watching as her old man shuffled around, pretending he wasn't in pain. She had seen the doctor flying down the hall, but made no effort to stop him. And the look she got from her father made it clear he was less than thrilled.

"Why don't you just let him check your sutures Daddy?" Spencer offered something that would make both men agree. "Give me your hat, I know you're superstitious about that."

John sent her a pointed look. "I'm not superstitious."

"Just a little -stitious then," Spencer's tongue poked out at her father as he sat on the bed, laying back to let the doctor examine him.

Now she held in her laughter as best as she could, watching her father's discomfort roll with him in the wheelchair. He sent her another exasperated look, which made the redhead fall into giggles. As soon as they reached the door, John booked it from the chair, leaving Spencer to apologize to the nurse before scurrying to the back of the truck. She watched on as her twin and her father sat in uncomfortable silence, ignoring the looks of help both were sending her. If they wanted to be idiots, she would let them be idiots.

"Kayce if I had known you were going to hit all the bumps, I would've driven," Spencer exclaimed in annoyance at yet another failed attempt to fall asleep.

"Pull over." John all but ordered, sending Kayce to the side of the road. Spencer tipped her hat back, watching the men get out of the truck to walk around. Seeing as she finally had the chance to fall asleep, she took it.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Spencer awoke to the slowing of the truck as it turned into the front of the Yellowstone. Outside of Kayce's rolled down window stood Walker, and Spencer had to admit this was the happiest she had ever been to be in the man's presence. Something about his tail tucked between his legs with his pack on his back made her practically giddy.

"This ain't the cowboy-ing I signed up for," Walker's forced accent assaulted Spencer's ears as she listened to her father and brother all but plead with the coward to stay on the ranch. "What happened the other night, that's not what I came here to do."

"And what exactly did you come here to do?" Spencer questioned as she rolled down her window. "Because I'm pretty sure fucking my sister wasn't in the job description."

Walker pointed a finger to the red head. "And her and psycho boyfriend. I don't even know who runs this place 'cause of them."

Spencer's lips drew into a wicked smile. "Oh honey, I do. And he does, and so does he. But if you call me or Rip psychotic one more time, it'll be the last time you do anything."

She emphasized each sentence by pointing to Kayce and her father, who nodded along at her statement. Kayce being partially in charge would cause problems, that much Spencer knew, but she needed to give her father and her brother time to see that. So she would play along until they finally got some brain cells to bounce together.