13. interruptions & heartache

Thursday

Thursday

If Spencer thought getting up at the crack of dawn at Yellowstone was annoying, getting up even earlier to get to Yellowstone from Greenquest was a whole other beast. Grant had been kind enough to get up with Spencer, claiming an early start to his day would be helpful rather than hurtful. Spencer nodded, although she was pretty sure her eyes were closing once again as she did. It took everything in her being to not just take the coffee pot and dump the glorious contents down her throat.

And she had to be at the ranch exceptionally early to get her work done so she could get to Paradise Valley to announce her campaign and then get to the Stockman's Dinner to talk shop with voters. At least she would be able to support her father, with her other siblings likely finding excuses as she drove.

Rip watched on as Spencer parked her truck, chuckling as the girl practically stumbled out of the truck. He was pretty sure if she stood still enough she would fall back asleep.

"One day in and you're already spread too thin Darlin'," he warned as Spencer approached. His heart clenched at the drained expression she had on her face. "Why don't you just leave your truck at Sawyer's? Have Jackson drive it around in case Rainwater's watching."

Spencer shook her head, "No can do. I gotta sell it for all it's worth."

"You're no good to me or your father if you're exhausted, pretty girl."

"I'd say you like me just fine when I'm exhausted, thank you very much." Spencer sent Rip a goading expression, making the man roll his eyes as he laughed at the innuendo. "I'd ask you to be my date tonight but I know that would just cause more problems than solve any."

"I can certainly escort you to bed," Rip teased, winking at Spencer. And then he walked away, leaving Spencer with surprisingly more pep in her step as the ideas began to trickle into her mind.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Somewhere along the way, Spencer must have pissed some higher power off because she had the misfortune of running into Walker. Now, she hadn't been there when Rip picked the sack of skin and bones up from the state prison, and she was sure as hell pissed about it. She was even more pissed when the fucker decided to keep going against the brand he wore on his chest. Everything about Walker irked Spencer, from his lack of work ethic to his incessant need to hit on her and Beth. And the fact that Beth actually seemed to be falling for it was even worse.

"What, no Secret Service today?" Walker drawled out the question as he walked up to Spencer's stall. She grumbled under her breath at the idea she needed any protection. "Sorry, what was that princess?"
Spencer huffed loudly, "I swear to all that is holy Walker if you don't get the fuck out of this stall I will cut your tongue out and feed it to you."

"Feisty for a little girl with no back up," Walker snickered as he pushed into the stall, closer to Spencer. "You actually got any bite to back up that bark sweetcheeks?"