29. a thaw

Despite the approaching spring months, Yellowstone still seemed frozen

Despite the approaching spring months, Yellowstone still seemed frozen. Every ounce of life seemed to be sucked out the ranch, with even the animals feeling the effects. John had become all but nonexistent, helping out only at Kayce's request. And what Rip saw was rough at best.

It was clear John wasn't sleeping, the bags under his eyes growing daily. And he was beginning to lash out when he did speak to anyone. But behind it all, Rip could see the pain etched in his boss's eyes, mimicking that of his own.

It had become clear the ranch wasn't the same without the girls, but especially without Spencer. The wranglers got out of line faster, and didn't listen to even Rip now. It seemed the only threatening force had been the redheaded Dutton girl.

On the other side of the valley, Spencer and Sawyer found themselves working into a new rhythm. To cover the cost of living with Dan, they worked around Paradise Valley, and started singing again on the weekends. In fact the pair began to make quite a name for themselves as the winter passed; gaining interest from a number of rodeo shows looking to branch into the music industry. Of course, the one they wanted to work with had Dustin working as its coordinator.

Spencer was still unsure as to why she felt so off about him, but the uneasiness she saw on Sawyer's face every time they saw him was enough to keep her guard up.

"You two coming?" Ingrid asked as she finished up her sound check. With the popularity growing around Spencer and Sawyer, a number of new artist's had reached out to open for the girls every weekend. Ingrid being one of the first and falling in step with the pair quite easily.

Spencer looked to Sawyer, who looked down right desperate to get out of the house. The look was just enough to make Spencer pity her blonde haired friend, nodding toward Ingrid whose smile grew.

"Great! We're all headin' to Outlaws around eight, do you want to meet us there?"

"We?" Sawyer asked as she packed up the rest of her guitar equipment. The instrument had been putting in overtime as Spencer refused to go home and get hers.

Ingrid counted on her fingers as she spoke. "Yeah me, Riley, Dustin, and Sawyer I think your brother and his friends are coming!"

Spencer watched the excitement fade from Sawyer's face at the mention of her brother. She knew the siblings hadn't spoken in months, what for, Spencer was still unsure. But Sawyer slapped on a happy grin, promising to meet the group there and stay for a few rounds.

On the short ride down to Dan's house, Spencer tried to pester Sawyer, but her efforts went unnoticed. Either her edge was wearing off or Sawyer was simply able to persevere now.

"Evening Darlin'," Rip's voice rang through the phone, soft and gentle like it had every night for months. Spencer rarely spoke, always letting Rip speak more. She had no idea where she stood with him anymore, twirling the ring he had sent her between her fingers. Everyday felt like it was echoing into the next, the days rattling around in her head until her phone rang. Yes, she didn't know what they were anymore, but hearing his voice on the other end of the phone made it all fade away around her.