19. thundering

"It's beautiful," Sawyer whispered as she stepped onto the porch, Spencer on her tail

"It's beautiful," Sawyer whispered as she stepped onto the porch, Spencer on her tail. Spencer smiled, letting her friend soak in the glory that was Yellowstone in the morning. She had never seen anything quite like it, the sun just beginning to rise over the valley, soaking the land in its rays. Spencer had always said it looked like the sun was lighting the valley ablaze, clearing it with an imaginary fire for a new day.

"We're gonna be late Sarge," Spencer teased as she pushed her shoulder into Sawyer's, sending the pair down the stairs to the cattle pen. It had been the blonde's request to earn her keep at Yellowstone, helping out as best as she could. In the time she had been there, Spencer was surprised everyday by how little Sawyer knew about ranching, but how well she picked it up.

"Call me that again, and I'll show you why I got that name, Tiny."

Spencer only cackled. "Sawyer, you're as scary as a golden retriever."

Sawyer sent Spencer a vulgar gesture of her hand, only causing the redhead to cackle even louder, drawing the attention of the men. John shook his head, mumbling about the only thing that scared him was two women laughing. Rip chuckled, pressing a kiss to Spencer's shoulder once she approached, although her steely gaze was locked on Avery. She hadn't been a fan of Rip bringing the stripper on board, mostly because the girl couldn't keep her fucking hands to herself, but Spencer had been out-voted on the matter. She couldn't complain too much though, the brunette had kept the men in line quite well.

On John's whistle, the group scattered, pulling themselves onto their horses and out to the pastures. It was a silent ride for the most part, the only voices coming from Ryan and Sawyer as they flirted their way through the morning. Spencer made a show of rolling her eyes at the couple, earning another flip of Sawyer's finger at her.

"Buck, can you get the dogs going?" Lloyd called, signaling at Spencer who nodded. She whistled once, sending the pups racing, both sprinting into the thick of the woods in front of them.

The sound of the cattle racing back out sent a thrill through the girl. It felt like ages since she had been able to get out on the ranch. Between playing as her father's spy to playing across the state on the weekends with Sawyer; it had been a while since she had gotten down to the dirty work. And she was thankful for the distraction. But not as thankful as Sawyer. Spencer had watched her friend grow distant over the weeks, ever since Spencer had sent Jackson away with that money. She would sprint from the room every time her phone rang, jumping when you came up behind her. And Spencer knew Sawyer would tell her eventually, but it was starting to worry her.

Spencer broke from her thoughts as Kayce raced into the woods, tracking down a bull that was still in the brush. Fucking idiot with a death wish, she thought as she shook her head, pushing the cattle back toward the main hold.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Rip could all but see the gears turning in Spencer's head as he watched her. She had zoned out once again, but he hadn't had the heart to bug her. He knew she'd come back in her own time, but it didn't seem like Kayce cared as she stalked over to his twin.

"Can you snap out of it?" Kayce snapped, shaking Spencer as he spoke. She startled but immediately narrowed her gaze at her brother.

"Leave me the fuck alone Kayce."

"You've been out of it all day Spencer, at least pretend to be fucking helpful."

Kayce turned to walk away, but Spencer put her hand on his shoulder. "Go act like a bitch with someone who fucking cares Kayce. Just because Monica lets you get away with this pouty bullshit doesn't mean I will. Stop acting like a fucking child."

"Sorry to bother y'all," a new voice entered the conversation. Spencer turned to see an older man, a true cowboy for what she had seen growing up. "I was told to talk to you about getting some work?"

"I'll be right with you-"

"Not you son, I was told to talk to her."

Spencer smirked, feeling smug as she watched a look of bewilderment wash over her brother. She turned to the man and smiled, extending her hand to him. "What can I help you with-?"

"Cowboy."

"Cowboy," Spencer's smile grew, "Oh these men are gonna hate that. Why don't you walk with me and we'll chat."

Cowboy nodded, tipping his hat to Kayce as he turned to follow the redhead. Rip smiled as he watched his girl with pride, even if she was doing his job. His attention turned to John, who only nodded at Rip which he returned. They both knew John wouldn't be around forever, and Spencer was going to have to step up. Kayce too, Rip knew his job was hanging in the balance because of it, but he didn't care. As long as Spencer got what she wanted, he'd be the happiest man in the world.