30. cowboy like me

The sound of chirping birds and the distant babbling of the river woke Spencer in the morning

         The sound of chirping birds and the distant babbling of the river woke Spencer in the morning. She smiled as she pulled herself up, wrapping her blanket tighter around her shoulders as she shuffled from the bed of the truck. She could see Rip sitting off in the distance, his gaze looking even further.

"Leave it to you to still be up before the sun," Spencer smiled as she sat next to Rip. He startled from his daydream at her voice, but his concern quickly dissipated. Waking up to Spencer in his arms- it had been damn near life altering. After so many months of not seeing her, not holding her, Rip almost broke down when he woke up.

"I'm not entirely sure I slept," he laughed as he looked at Spencer.

Spencer's shoulders shook with silent laughter as her gaze flew across the scenery in front of her before settling on Rip. He looked as light as she felt. They both knew there were still many hills to get over to get back to where they had once been, but each day brought them a step closer.

Rip watched as Spencer's fingers mindlessly toyed with the ring around her neck. He had been disappointed to not see her wearing it, but he also understood. They were dancing on a knife's edge right now, desperately clinging to their feelings to keep them from teetering over. But the wrong gust of wind could send them over.

"When do you need to get back?" When do I have to let you go again?

"I have some time, soundcheck isn't until noon. You could come, if you want?" Please don't leave.

Rip stiffened, although he tried to cover it as he laughed. "I think a shower should be in my near future first." I have to go back.

Spencer smiled as she nodded, but Rip could see it didn't reach her eyes. Her next words surprised him as her whole body had stilled to silence before she spoke.

"I'll come with you."

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

It felt weird, like really weird, for Spencer as she sat in the passenger seat of her truck as Rip pulled into Yellowstone. She didn't think it would hurt as much as it did now to see the house, the wranglers, and her father standing on the porch with Beth. Both looked shocked to see the redhead step out of the truck, and even more surprised to see her walking toward them.

Spencer kept her gaze on Beth, not bothering to look at her father. She had told Rip she needed to get her guitar anyway, so it made sense to suck it up and go with him. But now that she was here, she couldn't bear to look her father in the eyes. Not after everything he had put her through.

"It's good to see you Squirt," Beth smiled, pulling Spencer into an unusual hug. Beth was never really a touchy person, let alone one that hugged, but she had missed Spencer more than she realized. Holding down the female front of the family was dragging on her.