34. checkmate

Spencer awoke to the bright light of the room around her

Spencer awoke to the bright light of the room around her. The light burned her eyes as she blinked, the edge of pain in her head thrumming along with each blink. She felt the eyes of someone in front of her, but she knew it was before she even opened her eyes.

"Dustin," she whispered, her throat raw and aching. "Pleasure seeing you here."

Dustin chuckled softly, but Spencer winced as the sound hit her ears. "I'm sorry for all the dramatics, Spence, but I just had to get you alone. You understand, right?"

Spencer hummed, coughing from her dry throat. Dustin handed her water, but she pushed it away. He rolled his eyes, twisting the cap and taking a sip before pushing it toward her again. She glared at him, but snatched the bottle, chugging the water as fast as she could. She did her best to block out the glint of silver cuffs on her hands as she held them up in the light.

"You and I, we have many things to discuss Spencer Dutton. Many things."

"Go. To. Hell."

Dustin chuckled once again, standing up to turn around and walk to the door. He knocked twice, the wooden door opening for him to exit, but he stopped and turned back to Spencer. To see Spencer Dutton in handcuffs, at the mercy of his plans, it made him practically giddy.

"I think a few days will change your tune Spencer. We'll chat soon."

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

author's note. i swear on my life i'll stop traumatizing spencer soon😅