TWO.

— "LOOK who it is boys!" Kie called as her and Evelyn made their way over to the dock.
"No fucking way." John B shouted from inside the boat. "Is that Evelyn Cantwell? I can't quite tell it's been so long." Evelyn rolled her eyes as she hopped onto the boat.
"Good to see you too John B." She shook her head laughing.

"Glad you're back." Pope smiled from the drivers seat of the boat.
"I'm glad I'm back." Evelyn took a seat. "I'm sorry for just leaving you guys. I didn't want to admit that you were right about Rafe and I was being stubborn. But you guys were right, he cheated on me last night." Evelyn shrugged as she said this, letting them know that she wasn't bothered by it anymore.

"Don't apologise Ev, we're just glad you made you're way back to us." John B said pulling her into a hug, messing up her hair as he pulled away. Evelyn gave him a playful slap on the arm before looking over at JJ. He hadn't said anything since Evelyn arrived, he just sat on the edge of the boat overlooking the water.

"Hey." Evelyn took a seat next to JJ, gripping the sides of the boat for support. He turned to look at her, giving her a nod and a smile before turning back to the water.
"You're still mad huh?" Evelyn sighed, of course he was still mad. "Look JJ I was a bitch okay, I made some stupid decisions but I'm back now. Can't we just put it behind us?" He didn't respond, instead he stood up making his way over to the cooler Kie had brought and grabbed a beer. He didn't sit back down though and instead made his way over to Pope.

   It hurt Evelyn that JJ was still made, she knew he had every right to be but it didn't make it hurt any less.
   "You okay?" John B came and sat down next to Evelyn, taking her hand in his.
  "Yeah. Is JJ okay? I tried to speak to him but he still seemed annoyed. I guess i just thought he'd be happy to see me I don't know." Evelyn shrugged, kicking her feet in the water.
  "I don't know Ev, he was pretty hurt that you left. You know he doesn't let things go that easily."

  "Yeah I know. He has every right to be upset with me, I can't expect things to just go back to normal straight away I guess." John B squeezed her hand tightly, giving her a reassuring smile.
   "Give him some time, he'll come around Ev." Evelyn returned the smile.

Evelyn wanted to have fun but it was hard to ignore the tension between her and JJ. He didn't want anything to do with her right now and he made that very clear. She couldn't battle with him though, she knew he just needed time.

Evelyn and JJ were always the closest out of the group, so it was weird for them not to be speaking. He tried to reach out multiple times after Evelyn stormed away from them but she couldn't bring herself to answer, anyway Rafe eventually blocked his number from her phone.

—————————————————————————

WHEN Evelyn got home that evening, she was greeted by Rafe sat on her porch.
"What the fuck Ev, I've been calling you all day why didn't you pick up?" He threw his arms up as he shouted.
"I was out with friends." She tried to push past him and to the front door, but he put his hand in the way, stopping her.
"What friends?" Rafe scoffed.
  "The pogues." Evelyn crossed her arms, leaning back on the fence of her porch.
  "Oh my god Evelyn, get your head out of the gutter; they aren't your friends. You aren't one of them." Rafe said through gritted teeth, he knew Evelyn's parents were home and therefore tried to keep quiet.
  "If I'm not one of them then what am I Rafe? I'm not a kook, I'm not capable of living in this fantasy land like you expect from me." Evelyn ran her fingers through her hair, attempting to get it out of her face.
   "You are one of us Ev," Rafe tried to wrap his arms around Evelyn's waist; she pushed him away causing him to stumble slightly. "The pogues, they brainwashed you - made you think that you're something you're not."

Evelyn hated the way Rafe talked about them. His opinion was constantly based on the stereotypes, like because they weren't rich they were thief's, or that they were wild and unruly.
   But that wasn't the case, it was far from the case. If anything they treated Evelyn far better than the kooks ever could.

   "I know you cheated on me." Evelyn finally decided to address it. She thought maybe she could go about it without saying anything but she knew that wasn't a good idea.
   "Who told you?" Rafe's demure changed, his voice went soft and he grew tense.
   "Sarah, she called me not long after I left." Rage began to stumble on his words, rubbing his hand against his forehead.
  "Evelyn, I- I'm-" Rafe tried to say before Evelyn cut him off.
   "No, don't say you're sorry. Because I know you're not, I should've expected it from the start in fact. Of course this would happen, you aren't any different from the rest of them." For a moment Evelyn thought it looked like Rafe seemed hurt, but that immediately changed as he turned angry.
   "What's that suppose to mean?" He yelled.
   "You're a kook! You don't care about anyone but yourselves." Rafe's mouth hung open.
   "Well I'm sorry I'm not a 'perfect' little pogue. God you are so hypocritical Evelyn. Constantly acting like you're not one of us, you could never be a pogue." Rafe threw his arms up in defense.

  Evelyn managed to keep a straight face throw this whole ordeal, she was used to Rafe getting angry like this - it was a common occurrence in their relationship.

  "Just go home Rafe. Stop trying to fight this, it's over. God I should've done that sooner." Evelyn made her way towards her front door, Rafe didn't try to fight this, this time.
  "Fine." And then it was over, Evelyn went inside and Rafe headed home.

   Evelyn wanted to cry, but it was as if she had no tears left. She tried and tried but nothing came out. She felt numb and completely weak. She wondered why she had cared this much for Rafe, he clearly never felt the same but she couldn't bring herself to believe that.

she wished she could say Rafe was different in the beginning but he really wasn't, she was just too blind to see that how he really was.
Evelyn was slightly relieved this was all over, she didn't have to suck up to these people who she didn't belong with anymore.