TWENTY TWO

— "THIS is the north drain. It should've gotten washed into the gully." JJ said. The very next morning the group were out searching for the gun that had slipped into the drain.
     If they could find it they would have a chance of proving that Rafe killed Peterkin, and that Ward killed Gavin that night.

    "So, if it got flushed out from this drain, it would've been pushed out to, like.." JJ pointed at the different drains as he spoke.
    "Somewhere in this trash." Pope finished his sentence, signalling towards the large pile of trash in front of them.
    "Correct." JJ nodded.

     "Oh my god." Kiara sighed. "People who use plastic should be shot." She looked at the large pile of plastic bags and other assortments of trash. Pope looked up at her, giving her a look.
    "Okay, personally, I loved plastic." JJ said teasingly. Evelyn gave him a playful slap on the arm. "Use it every day. Love the stuff." He continued.

     Kiara just looked at him, shaking her head. JJ began picking up the piles of plastic, searching through it.
    "Okay well." Kiara started. "Hopefully, you recycle it and don't let it flush into the ocean." Ever since Evelyn had known Kiara she had been a huge activist, always supporting saving the ocean.

     "I thought you'd say something like that." Pope said, holding up a big pile of trash bags in his hand. He gave Kie a smirk as he waved them around. She couldn't help but smile.
    "Did you just proactively protect the environment?" She asked, laughing slightly.

    "Maybe." He continued to smirk before turning around, focusing his attention on the pile of trash. Evelyn walked over to Kiara, shaking her shoulder out of excitement; causing Kie to go red.

    "You want me to leave you two alone, or what's going on?" JJ continued to tease.
    "Oh Pope, you would save the environment for me." Evelyn teased with JJ, putting on a high pitched voice to impersonate Kiara.
    "Of course, anything for you." JJ joked with her, Evelyn ruffling his hair.

     Pope threw the trash bags at the two, shaking his head.
    "Just pick up the trash." He laughed. JJ picked the trash bags up off the floor, passing on to Evelyn and grabbing another for himself.

    They started searching through it, looking for any sign of the gun. It was going to take them awhile as they were completely surround by it.

      The trash bags started to pile up as they continued to search. Evelyn had thrown her hair up into a messy bun, trying to stop the sweat.
      Her hands were covered in dirt, along with the rest of her. She tried to clean it off but it was almost impossible.

     "Well, that was fun." JJ said, wiping his hand across his forehead before picking up the last trash bag, throwing it over to where the others sat. They still hadn't managed to find the gun.
    "If it's not in the trash, then it's gonna be in the storm drain." Pope pointed out. Evelyn sighed, realising the work wasn't over just yet.

     "It's in the drain." JJ nodded, confirming Pope's observation. Pope shook his head.
     "Of course it is." Kiara sighed. JJ moved away, grabbing his bag and bringing it over.
    "Good thing I brought the crow." He reached in his bag, pulling out a crow bar. Evelyn was baffled at how he was able to fit that in his bag.

        "So, are we gonna do, like rock, paper, scissors?" Kiara asked. JJ shook his head.
    "No." He said as he pulled the gate off the front of the drain with his crow bar. Kiara continued to list off ways they could decide who was going in.

         "In the sewer, there's this work that you get when you're down there." JJ said. "It gets into your blood, and then it has to come out your pecker." Evelyn shuddered as he spoke.
     "So, uh, that would be a hard pass for me." He shook his head, refusing to go down there himself.