Prologue

A girl sat on a couch. She was around six years old. Short, brown hair. Big eyes that were watching her parents argue.

The girl didn't exactly understand what they were saying, something about a virus and a department was all she caught, although those words were too hard for her to even register.

"Hey, sweetie." Her father sat down on a chair and looked at the girl in front of him. "Me and your mother are gonna leave the town for a while." He exhaled, waiting for her reaction.

"Why?" The little girl asked as her eyes flashed from one parent to the other.

Her father didn't answer.

"You're gonna go with your cousin." Her mother eventually replied.

Her eyes filled with some kind of excitement, yet fear. "Where to?"

'"A safer place, safe from the virus." The man got up from his chair.

The girl didn't understand, but just nodded.

"Chuck will be here soon, we're gonna drop the two of you off somewhere, okay?"

"Okay." The girl moved her legs up to her chest and waited in silence. There wasn't much to think of it.

After a while someone knocked on the door and the girl jumped of the couch, the excitement now fully taking over.

"Chuck!" She hugged her younger cousin. It had been such a long time since she had seem him.

'"Hey, Nora." His chubby cheeks appeared when he smiled.

"Let's go, guys." The girl her mother grabbed a bag and walked outside, rather in a hurry. "Get in the car." She motioned at the grey vehicle. The two kids obeyed and sat down in the backseat.

After driving for about ten minute,  the mother stopped the car. She opened the door for the kids, letting them out. "Say goodbye to dad." She looked at the girl, who walked over to her father and hugged him.

"Bye, Nora." The man let go of his daughter and got back in the car fast.

"Chuck, Nora?" A blonde woman with white clothes walked over to the mother and the two kids. Her hair was tied in a slick bun. It made the girl shiver, not even talking about how formal she looked. "Come with me, please." She motioned for the kids to follow her and they did, after sharing a glare.

"Thank you, Ava." Her mother thanked.

The woman just smiled and put both of her hands on the kids their shoulders. "Let's go." They started making their way to a tall building,  the letters 'w.c.k.d' stamped on it.