Chapter seventy-two - Attacks

I and Newt were checking on Alby when suddenly someone ran into the med-hut. 'Guys!' Logan screamed.

'Bloody hell, Logan. Calm down.' Newt looked at a heavily panting Logan.

'The.. doors-' He panted. 'They're not closing.'

'What?' Newt abruptly got up from the bed. 'They're not closing?'

'That's right.'

'Shit.' I got up from the bed too. 'What do we do?'

'We hide.'

'Aren't we supposed to fight the Grievers?' I wondered.

Almost looking offended, the two boys turned to me. 'No!' They said in unison. 'You're going to the Homestead.' Newt decided.

'I agree. You need to be safe.' Logan added.

'Excuse you? I'm not going anywhere without you guys.'

'Just stop arguing and get out of here!' Logan walked over to Alby. 'Can he walk?'

'Yes.' I replied.

We helped Alby get up and started walking to the Homestead. Just when we were about to walk in, I heard a loud noise behind me. My whole body froze and my heart started beating faster. I noticed Logan and Newt pushing Alby into the Homestead.
Just when I was about to walk in too, I felt some slime on my shoulder.

'Nora, come on!' Logan ran out of the Homestead and grabbed my arm. Together we started running through the Glade.

'Nora!' Newt shouted, but he was too late and left alone in the Homestead with some others.

'In here!' Logan lead me into the garden and we hid between some plants, along with Zart, Thomas, and Teresa. Everything was quiet until suddenly a Griever literally grabbed Zart. He let out a scream and just like that, he was gone.

Shocked I sat there, not knowing what to do. A Glader was killed right in front of my eyes.
'Nora, we've gotta go!' Logan whisper-screamed. 'To the Homestead.'

Me, Thomas, Teresa, and Logan started running again. A Griever chased us and I was scared to death. My legs felt like they could give up any minute, even though I didn't run for long. The Griever came to a sudden stop when some boys from my left threw spears at it. I recognized Frypan running over to us after he threw his spear.

"Go!" He screamed. We started running again and after a minute, we finally arrived at the Homestead. As fast as possible we got in and closed the door behind us.

'What the hell were you thinking?!' I heard the recognizable British voice behind me. I turned around and walked right into Newt.

'Shhh!' Minho shushed us when something climbed over the roof of the Homestead, most likely a Griever. Quieter than I had ever been I stood there, scared the Griever might hear my unsteady heartbeats. Suddenly the Griever stuck its stinger into the roof and it fell down immediately. Covered in the dust I let out a few coughs and quickly got up, just to hear a help next to me.

I turned my head and noticed Clint being pulled out of the Homestead by a Griever. 'Clint!' I screamed and wanted to grab his arms, but it was too late. The Griever had pulled Clint away from me.

Again, my body froze. Everything had gone wrong. Clint was dead. One of my greatest friends in the whole Glade. Since the moment I walked into the med-hut, he had been nice to me. He always cared about me and was so kind. And now he was gone. Just because I couldn't save him. Without even noticing it, tears streamed down my face and I let out a sob.

'Nora!' Newt harshly pulled me away from the wall, to the middle of the Homestead.

'Clint- he..' I cried.

'I know, I know.' Newt quietly said. 'But we have to take care of ourselves now, okay?'

I wanted to protest but another Griever put its arms into the Homestead and grabbed Chuck. 'No!' I jumped right into action and grabbed Chuck's arm, and Thomas grabbed the other one.

'Hold on, Chuck!'

'No shit!' My cousin screamed back to Thomas.

I kept a tight grip on Chuck his hand and wasn't planning to let go until the Griever did. I wasn't going to lose my cousin.
Alby started hitting the metal leg until the Griever finally let go.

'Thanks, Alby.' Chuck panted once he stood on the floor again.

'Alby, watch out!' Thomas screamed. Alby was standing right in front of the broken wall. Again, the metal legs appeared and grabbed Alby's body.
Thomas immediately grabbed Alby's arms, but I could see how hard it was for him to hold onto the leader.

'Take care of them, Thomas.'

That was the last thing he said before he got pulled away from us. Our leader was gone.

'No!' I screamed and didn't hesitate to run out of the Homestead.

'Nora!'

'Stop!'

But I kept running. I couldn't lose another Glader. I just couldn't.
Not even realizing I wouldn't be able to save Alby I kept running after the Griever. It came to a sudden stop and I noticed Alby had just disappeared.

The Griever seemed to look at me. 'Come on!' I screamed. The creature moved his leg and hit me right in the stomach. I flew through the air and caught a glimpse of the Glade. Everything was either broken or on fire. Alby, Clint, and Zart were gone, and who knew who else was? Eventually, my body made contact with the grass and I hit my head on it, hard. Immediately everything went black.