Chapter twenty-nine - Apologize

I was too mad to feel guilty about kicking Newt. It wasn't like I enjoyed hurting him, but at that moment I was so angry at him, I just had to do something. With a sigh I laid down on my bed and stared at the wooden ceiling. I didn't get why Newt wouldn't let me go into the maze. I knew it was dangerous, but there was no reason for him to forbid me to go in there. Out of curiosity I opened my door slightly and looked around the corner. I saw Newt arguing with Alby, Gally and Logan were talking with Minho, who was still sitting at the table.

I closed the door again and looked trough the clothes Alby gave me. The Box had send a few things up, black lingeries, a few navy blue and black long and no sleeved tops, green and white shorts and two long pants. Even though I was mad at Newt, I still put on his sweater and laid down in my bed, pulling the blanket over me. It was still light outside and it was shining in my room, making it impossible for me to sleep. Annoyed I sat straight up again with my back against the wall. Very bored I sat there, doing nothing.

I felt like I couldn't go outside, Newt was mad at me, I was mad at him and everyone would probably laugh at me. I couldn't sleep either, I wasn't tired yet and it was way too light and early. While tapping with my foot I bit my lip, my habit. Newt would've pointed it out if he was there at that moment.

Jesus Christ! I can't even do anything without thinking about him.

I stopped biting my lip and looked around in my room. Slowly my eyes were drawn to the small knife, which was still hidden.

No. I'm not gonna do it.

I tried to keep myself from cutting.

I promised myself to stop. I'm not gonna do it.

I tried to think about something else, but everything I could think of had something to do with Newt, what made me even more annoyed. Slowly I walked over to my desk and grabbed the small knife. Hesitantly I moved it to my wrist.

One more time.

I trailed the knife down and blood started flowing out. Immediately I made a few more cuts. I winced in pain, but the stinging made me feel relieved. I put the knife back in a drawer and cleaned my wrist up with a small cloth.

~

The next morning I hesitantly looked around with a plate full with food in my hands. Newt was nowhere to be seen, and I didn't feel like joining Minho. My eye caught Chuck, so I walked over to him, hoping he didn't hear the fight me and Newt had earlier.

'Hey, Nor!' Chuck greeted happily.

'Hello, Chuck.' I smiled and try to look as cheerful as possible. 'How you doing?'

'Fine.' He replied. 'What about you?' He luckily didn't ask about the fight.

'I'm fine.' I lied and thought about Newt and the cuts on my wrist.

'Great.' Chuck said before stuffing his mouth full with food.

I started eating too. After a while I looked up and saw Minho sitting at a table with Ben. Newt walked over to them and sat down. Suddenly he looked up and his eyes met mine. I quickly turned away and focused on my food. I was wondering when we would make it up to each other. Newt was mad at me for kicking him and wanting to be a Runner, and I was mad at him for not letting me go into the maze.

'I'm gonna go, bye Chuck.' I got up and gave Newt one last look. He was looking at the table while he ate, not saying anything.

~

Logan walked into the med-hut. 'Hey,' I said.

'Hey Nora, long no see.' He smiled and sat down.

'Yeah.' I looked down. 'What happened?'

'Got a scratch on my arm.' Logan showed me his arm, which was covered in blood.

I started treating the scratch and in the meantime Logan cheered me up a little. We hadn't talked for a while and I was glad to see him again.

'So, I heard you wanted to be a Runner?' Logan asked.

'Well, yeah.. But I don't think I'll be able to.' I replied.

'Why not? I'm sure you'll be able to do it.' Logan answered.

'I guess.' I shrugged. 'But Newt won't let me either way.'

'I've noticed.' Logan chuckled lightly, though I didn't get what was funny about it. 'But he's not the one to decide that for you.'

'I know,' I replied.

'You should make it up with him, though.' Logan added. 'He's very upset.'

'Oh,' I said. 'Well, I am upset too.'

'Someone's gotta say sorry sometime.'

I didn't reply and finished treating the scratch on Logan's arm. 'All done.' I said when he was all bandaged up.

'Looks good.' Logan inspected his arm. 'Thanks.' He got up and said goodbye.

~

At lunch Minho motioned for me to join him. Unsure I sat down and started eating.

'You sure had a good fight yesterday.' Minho smirked.

'You don't have to remind me.' I gave him a glance.

'Do you still want to be a Runner?' Minho looked a little more serious.

'I don't know.' I shrugged and knew Newt wouldn't like me being a Runner.

'You don't know?' Minho repeated in confusion. 'Are you saying you're not going to try being a Runner because Newt said you couldn't?!'

'You have a point,' I started, but before I could say anything else, someone sat down next to Minho.

It was Newt.

'Hello there.' Minho said. Newt mumbled something so quiet, neither Minho or myself could hear it.

I looked down and felt the tension between me and Newt. I thought about what Logan had said, making it up with Newt. But I wasn't gonna do it, he was the one that got mad at me.

'So,' Minho started, trying to start a conversation. 'How's everybody doing?'

'Fine.' Me and Newt groaned in unison.

'I never thought I was gonna say this, but I enjoyed you guys more when you were a couple.' Minho replied.

'We are still a couple.' Newt mumbled in reply. I was glad we were still a couple, even though I was angry.

'That's very.. obvious, you guys are like holding hands non-stop and stuff.' Minho sarcastically replied. 'Perfect couple.' He mumbled.

Me and Newt stayed silent, until Minho spoke again. 'Jezus Christ! Just make it up already!' He raised his voice. 'Are you guys really going to fight over somethin' so stupid?!'

Newt hesitated for a second. 'He's right. I'm sorry, Nora.' Full of hope he looked at me.

'I'm not,' I started and Newt's mouth slightly opened. 'But I forgive you.'

'Finally.' Minho sighed. 'Took long enough.'