Chapter thirteen - Splinters

I opened my eyes when someone pressed their hand down on my mouth. My cry was muffled by the hand and I blinked a few times to get used to the dark.
I recognized Adam's face immediately and wanted to scream, but he covered my mouth tightly.

'Did you really think I was dead? Did you think I wasn't gonna come back?' He whispered with a threatening tone.

I couldn't do anything. I couldn't scream or move. He sat on top of me, so I couldn't move my legs, one of his hands had pinned my arms above me.

When I made another muffled noise Adam pressed his hand down on my mouth and nose even tighter. He blocked the air from my lungs and I couldn't breath. I tried to kick or move, but I was stuck.

Adam let go of my mouth for a split second and put a cloth in it, so I couldn't talk or scream. I felt tears form in my eyes as he moved the hair out of my face.

'You really shouldn't have told them, sweetheart.' His tone was annoying. He got off me and bend down to my pants. My legs were free, but my arms were still being held by him.

Before Adam could do anything else I started kicking with my legs and tried to get the cloth out of my mouth.

'Fine.' Adam moved closer to me.
He grabbed a big knife from his pocket and the moonlight made it shine. 'I'll remove the cloth.' And so he did. 'Cause I want to hear you scream.' He moved the knife closer to me.

~

I started screaming, yelling, and crying. I kicked with my legs and arms, trying to resist. Tears streamed down my face as I felt two strong arms grab me. I resisted, trying to escape from the arms and I started kicking again.

'Hey!' I heard the person holding me yell. 'Hey, it's okay.'

I panicked even more and still tried to resist.

'Nora.' The person held me tight. 'It's okay.' The voice was calming and recognizable. 'It was just a dream.' The person slowly rocked me back and forth, while their arms held me tightly. After a while my breathing got steadier and realized I was okay.

'It was just a dream.' The person kept comforting me until I completely calmed down. I recognized the British voice and looked at the person. I was right, it was Newt.

His grip loosened and I sat down on the bed with my back against the wall, so did Newt.

'What happened?' I asked, still a little unsure about everything.

'You had a nightmare.' Newt grabbed my hand. 'Do you want to tell me what happened?'

'Adam.' Was the only thing I said.

'Do you wanna go to sleep?' Newt squeezed my hand.

'Yes.' I nodded and laid down. Newt put the blanket on top off me.

A little unsure Newt looked at the empty spot next to me. 'Good night.' He looked at me again and smiled as he got up.

When he was about to walk out of my hut I interrupted him. 'Newt?'

'Yeah?' He immediately turned around.

'Could you- never mind.' I wanted him to lay next to me, but he definitely wouldn't want that.

'No. What were you saying?' Newt moved closer to me.

'Could you stay with me?' I finally asked.

In my surprise Newt agreed and he laid down next to me. 'You okay?' He slowly moved my hair out of my face.

I could only nod and stare into his eyes. Whenever he got closer to me I felt the warmth in my body spreading. He is so kind and caring.. Slowly my eyes closed.