Sick (maknaes)

"How are you?" Na-rae asked, sighing, as the boy next to her groggily awoke.

"Terrible. I feel like I've got no food left in my body," he groaned, shifting to face her.

"Same here. I think we ate something bad after practice yesterday. I'm never going back to that café," he nodded in agreement, without needing to say more.

A loud knock on the door forced the two to exchange quick glances. "Quick, cover up. You look awful," she told him, hastily pulling the blanket over herself. "Kook, Nana, we're leaving in thirty minutes. Get up, or we're taking off without you!" Jimin's voice came from behind the door, luckily not Hobi's.

"We're coming," she replied. But as soon as the words left her mouth, she cringed at how raspy her voice sounded, as if she had smoked a pack of cigarettes the night before.

"You'll need more time than I do, so go ahead," Jungkook said. She didn't take it personally, considering that she had seen herself in the mirror just a few hours ago. A quick cold shower and some makeup to conceal the bags under her eyes had already worked wonders. She might look tired, but it wasn't the first time. Jungkook and she had spent countless sleepless nights, whether they were playing games, talking, or doing homework. They rarely found time to rest before practice.

After putting on her sports bra and shorts, she walked out of the bathroom, signaling Jungkook with a thumbs-up to indicate it was his turn. After some contemplation, she decided to swap her usual trainers for jeans. Wearing trainers at this event would only earn her skeptical looks, and that was the last thing she wanted. So she squeezed herself into a pair of jeans with a gaping hole at the knee and paired them with a cropped t-shirt. Her hair hung freely above her shoulders and grabbed a cap to shield her eyes.

Jungkook was quicker, as he always was, and after she adjusted her cap, he was already making himself ready. His style was quite similar, although he went for a black T-shirt. "I just want to crawl back into bed," he said, heading straight for the mattress.

"No, we can't. Let's go," she said, pulling him out of the room.

°°°

The boys weren't even paying attention to the two makneas, which made it easier for them to deal with their problems.

"I think Noona knows," Jungkook approached her after finishing his makeup. "She was giving me suspicious looks, and I saw her eyeing you too. Did she say anything when you did your makeup earlier?" Shrugging her shoulders, she nodded.

"Yes, she did, but I told her not to worry, so please do the same," Na-Rae told the boy to calm down.

"What if she tells Sejin-nim? What if he sends us home? What if-"

"Kook-ah, what did I just say? Don't worry. Here." she opened her hand and showed him the painkillers she found back home.

"What are these?" he asked.

"What do you think, smart head?" Shaking her head, she handed him one of the pills.

"I know what they are, that's not what I meant, but where did you find these?" he shifted his body so he was covering both of them so that the elders not could see what they were doing.

"They're regular painkillers. I found them at home. Remember when Yoongi-oppa was sick?" he nodded, which meant she didn't need to explain further. "They just relieve the headaches and lower fever for a few hours."

Still hesitating, she rolled her eyes. "I thought they might help. If you don't want to take them, that's fine. I will." She took a sip of water and swallowed the medicine. Taking the water bottle out of her hand, she saw him do the same, he wasn't up for an "I told you so" speech later.